Cookies For My Son's Birthday....

Decorating By ale122809 Updated 23 Sep 2014 , 7:06pm by ale122809

ale122809 Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 4

AHi there! Excuse my lack of knowledge but I'd like to make these cookies for my son's birthday party except I have two issues.... A.) I'm not sure if these are sugar cookies or a different type of cookie (help?) B.) What kind of icing is this and how easy/hard is it work with in order to get those colors on there without colors blending together?

Thanks so much for the help![IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3288090/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

3 replies
julia1812 Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 4

AHi ale122809, I can't see the cookies probably, but would say you could use about any you / your son likes. Next, get cookie cutters for the forms (but guess you have those already). To me it looks like they are covered in fondant. You can use regular rolled fondant or marshmallow fondant (MMF). Color it with food colouring, means knead it into the fondant until the color is evenly distributed. Cover each cookie with a thin layer of royal icing, Grenache or buttercream in order for the fondant to stick to the surface. Roll the fondant to about 1/8 of an inch / 2-3 mm thin, lay over one cookie, slightly press down and cut off excess fondant with a sharp knife. The thin lines for definition can be made out of long thin strings of fondant or piped on with RI or BC colored with food colouring. You could also use marzipan instead of fondant, but not many kids like that...

still_learning Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 4

I actually think these cookies are iced in royal icing and, yes, they appear to be sugar cookies. It sounds like you haven't made cookies like this before.  They are very time consuming but can end up looking great. I'd maybe start either here

or on the tutorials section on cake central to find some tutorials on decorating with royal icing.  I think that is the best place to start.  Good luck!

ale122809 Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 4

AThank you! [@]still_learning[/@] no I've never made sugar cookies nor decorated with royal icing other than for flowers on a cake. How soon can one start working on these type of cookies before they will get hard and yucky?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%