"just Mayo" Egg Free Cake -- Nice!

Baking By -K8memphis Updated 11 Oct 2014 , 1:14pm by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 1:14am
post #1 of 13

lots of us in the 80's tried the mayo cake but this is a different "Just Mayo" cake made with a new eggless mayonnaise --

here's the ingredients in Just Mayo --

non-gmo expeller pressed canola oil, water, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, pea protein, spices, modified food starch, beta-carotene, NO EGGS!

and all you add to make the cake is flour, leavening, sugar, cocoa, vanilla, 'just mayo' and water

i promise i flipped this picture sorry 

it's a great cake -- beautiful crumb-- nice & juicy -- looks like a regular egged up cake -- it's awesome!

here's the link for the recipe:

http://www.hamptoncreek.com/just-mayo/recipes/chocolate

i got it at whole foods in the refrigerator --

best to you

12 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 2:16am
post #2 of 13

I get my superpowers from eating eggs, and my superb eagle eyesight.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 2:25am
post #3 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

I get my superpowers from eating eggs, and my superb eagle eyesight.

eagles eat eggs? who knew -- sunny side up type thing -- i thought we got good eyesight from rabbits/carrots/glasses? hey i had eggs for breakfast so i can get super eagle powers too?

and yet you discriminate against the cow

MBalaska Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 2:52am
post #4 of 13
MBalaska Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 7:09am
post #5 of 13

Yes, you too can have super eagle eye sight!! 

How did you come to bake without eggs? 

-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 11:19am
post #6 of 13

Quote:

http://q13fox.com/2014/05/06/did-a-golden-eagle-carry-truffle-the-shih-tzu-away/

luckily the little angel got away. 

oh my goodness! 'small animal collars in bird's nests' ouch -- say it ain't so -- shudder

hopefully our giant willow oaks will help keep the swooping and snatching to a minimum and my chinny weighs twelve pounds fifteen loaded with a dirty sock -- have to be a very large bird but we lost a large fluffy bunny into thin air too...different yard though...

(chinny nickname for tianshi pronounced chin shoo means angel)

-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 11:52am
post #7 of 13

Quote:

Yes, you too can have super eagle eye sight!! 

How did you come to bake without eggs? 

my son told me about the "just mayo" product -- it's eggless -- they show some cookie recipes too but when you click on them nothing happens  -- i sent them a 'where's the beef recipe' email but no response --

we were particularly intrigued with the pea protein we're thinking that's what replaces the eggs --

did it just out of curiosity -- i've worked with eggless cakes before and it wasn't pretty -- but this was great

GottaLuvCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GottaLuvCake Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 13

My husband just found this at the dollar store last night, he is allergic to eggs so he can never have anything with mayo in it

-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 13

it's good mayo and it made a really nice cake -- i'm upset though -- my son lives near where it's produced and he said it was cheaper than regular mayo -- agh yeah no not in tennessee -- i bet you guys got a deal on it too at the dollar store -- but anyway i hope he likes it -- who knew pea protein could taste so good

-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 13

the cake would be great anytime with icing -- it's best the day after baking if eaten without icing -- needs to mature a day before eating it straight up --

if you get the cookie recipes let me know -- they are supposed to be really good the choco chip recipe anyhow -- i'd love to see how a sugar cookie turns out --

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 13

I've been curious about the eggless mayo, and if it on my to-do list for December to try the mayo cake recipe with it. Thanks for sharing! I keep seeing it on the shelf and have been reluctant to try it because the other eggless mayo's are so gross. I've heard lots of good things about this new one from Hampton Creek. 

-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 6:13pm
post #12 of 13

cool, tdovewings! and i don't know if you can tell by my photo but it's a really nice texture too -- 

-K8memphis Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 1:14pm
post #13 of 13

so i spent a few minutes on hamilton creek's 'just mayo' website and figured out that their cookies come as cookie dough you purchase from them not a recipe - oh that explains why i can't find any cookie recipes  --

then there's this food for thought:

Quote:

Hampton Creek is finding new ways of utilizing plants that do not involve the resource intensity associated with raising animals. Our research is particularly focused on disrupting the global egg industry.

my emphasis is in blue there

Quote:

CEO and founder Josh Tetrick said, "We live in a time where the unhealthy choice is dirt cheap and convenient. And the healthy choice is pricey and inconvenient. When my Dad walks the grocery aisles to buy mayo or chocolate-chip cookies or eggs, the inputs that make them possible often come from bizarrely unhealthy places. Our goal has always been to build a company that brings healthier and affordable food to everyone, everywhere. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%