Bakery Crafts Sps To Transport 3 Tiers?

Decorating By debbs0723 Updated 23 Sep 2014 , 9:45pm by leah_s

debbs0723 Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I've been active on Cake Central.  I do this as a very small party time business in my area.  I have always transported 2 and 3 tiered cakes very easily just using dowels and I stopped worrying so much after the first few.  Most of my cakes are fondant.  

However, I am going to a wedding about an hour and a half away. I'm a guest at this wedding as well as doing the cake.  I was considering just bringing the tiers and assembling on site but I HATE doing that.  I like to figure out flower configuration, get nice pictures, etc the day before.  Plus people are always standing around talking to you while you are trying to finish and I don't do my best work that way :)

I started reading about the SPS (Obviously many years too late).  This is a plain stacked cake with no air between.  8", 10" and 12" round cakes with buttercream only.  I saw on you tube and recommendations here on how to put the columns in the cake for supports, etc.  Looks like a great idea.  When calling local cake stores here both places thought I was crazy to not assemble on site but I know a lot of you are traveling with tiered cakes.  Any thoughts on how safe this is (other than an awful accident, etc?)  How sturdy would you say they were?  It's weird for me not to be putting a dowel through the entire cake. 

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 5

it's very safe -- done it both ways assembled and unassembled -- i like to climate control my cakes in cardboard boxes and i definitely would do that for a long distance delivery like this -- put it in the box cold and add secure some freezer packs in there -- will hold the cake for hours perfectly --

but myself for a long distance delivery i'd probably stack on site -- unless it was a sculpture or something weird -- just act a little all business/crabby/distant/curt without being an out right b**** and peeps usually won't bug you -- do you have a chef's coat -- looking the part helps -- don't make eye contact -- say, "ask me when i'm finished ok?" "sorry i'm tied up right now" "take a hike" :-D 

if you get there nice & early usually they don't bother you -- can see you're busy --

best deliverin' to you

debbs0723 Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks.  I guess I'll buy it and see how I feel about it.  I just like to have it finished, flowers and all since I'm doing the flowers.  

morganchampagne Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 5

ANo question about it, you can definitely transport it. I only traveled with 3 tiers once, wont ever do that again. Take bottom two and stack others on sight.

With SPS I also use a piece of carpet tape on the plates for security. Not Necessary, but definitely helps with piece of mind

leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2014 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 5

With SPS, if you can lift it, you can deliver it stacked.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%