Does Food Coloring Sour?

Decorating By newb2 Updated 22 Sep 2014 , 10:33pm by newb2

newb2 Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 4

I made an ombre cake using violet Americolor and the cake tasted AWFUL!  You could tell it was just the outside of the cake/frosting where the color was tasted bad, the rest was okay. I didn't use a ton of color and now I'm afraid to use any food coloring. It was a white cake with SMBC. Any tips on using food coloring and not having an awful flavor? I'm afraid to use color now.

3 replies
costumeczar Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 4

It can go off, but it also does have a flavor and if you use too much it can make the icing taste nasty.

julia1812 Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 5:32am
post #3 of 4

AI still remember making my first batch of buttercream, tinting it green with food coloring powder. Didn't know that it's supposed to be dissolved in the liquid before adding it to the mix. So I kept adding and adding cause it wouldn't look green. Ended up using the entire packet. When I tasted it, I thought I would have a spoon full of salt in my mouth, lol :D Since then I always taste it before I use it and I think I'm powder-phobic since, ha ha ha! Don't know what was wrong with yours though... Did you taste it before you used it?

newb2 Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by julia1812 

I still remember making my first batch of buttercream, tinting it green with food coloring powder. Didn't know that it's supposed to be dissolved in the liquid before adding it to the mix. So I kept adding and adding cause it wouldn't look green. Ended up using the entire packet. When I tasted it, I thought I would have a spoon full of salt in my mouth, lol icon_biggrin.gif
Since then I always taste it before I use it and I think I'm powder-phobic since, ha ha ha!
Don't know what was wrong with yours though... Did you taste it before you used it?

It never occurred to me to taste it first......I guess I should start doing that too. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%