Fondant Vs. Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By CAREcakes Updated 23 Nov 2015 , 2:18pm by JulieCromie

CAREcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAREcakes Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 10

Hey all -- I have a frozen obsessed child -- her party is next weekend and i'm going to attempt to make a fondant/modeling chocolate Ice castle for the top -- i have a cunundrum...

I live in Ecuador -- It's HOT -- ALL THE TIME!  Modeling chocolate would be better taste & structure-wise but i'm afraid it will melt

Fondant will be more stable -- but is awful tasting (unless my marshmallows come in in time to make my own)

I don't have the stuff for gum paste  and it's SUPER expensive to buy it or marzipan (yuck) here -- soo what to do? what to do? 

This is the castle topper I'm attempting.  It's not mine, I found it on Pinterest.

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 10

what if you used sugar -- sanding sugar (blue and silver and opal) or color your own granulated sugar blue -- and just encrust a buttercream castle? it would not be smooth of course but it would be very icey looking and the smaller granulated sugar comes out very pretty -- you could use both sizes even -- and it won't melt

CAREcakes Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 10

K8memphis -- How would I get a standing buttercream castle? I'm just wondering, I guess I'm just having a hard time picturing it in my mind. It is an idea though, but I'm not sure I can find fine enough sanding sugar here. I'm still learning my way around, we've only been in Ecuador for 10months and finding shops is not easy unless you know someone who can take you there.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 12:03am
post #4 of 10

y'know a cake sculpture covered in buttercream -- with a cake under there i should have said -- wee little detail i left out ;)

it's real easy to color granulated sugar with just gel color -- you just mix it all up --- back in the olden days (once again when we tossed cake scraps to the dinosaurs* roaming outside our huts) we painted the white pillars & plates with egg white and sugared them -- it was a really beautiful look once it was all assembled a real dreamy look -- did that with fresh fruits too -- 

you could use a non crusting icing and it would be challenging to get the sugar everywhere -- but make it on a board the same size so you can let it slide off -- and then transfer to your real board -- you can get that shading in there too --

or if you use crusting buttercream you'll need to apply the sugar before it sets up or brush on some piping gel --

and please TEST this and make sure it will not dissolve on you or anything -- just make some icing and put som sugar on it and see how it does --

*winniemog said that's why they went extinct :lol: hey that was her cake not mine :-D

-K8memphis Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 12:05am
post #5 of 10

the little turrets you'd probably have to twist out of cardboard or pretzel sticks or cookies or something --

CAREcakes Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 12:09am
post #6 of 10

The castle is just a topper.. i do have the wilton castle cake decorating kit, but my daughter is instant i don't use it (we've used it the past 2 or 3 years) -- I have the little frozen figurines and she wants a castle -- well she really wants elsa's mountain with a castle and i laughed -- a little beyond my skill level -- so it's 1 10" 2layer round cover in blue fondant, 1 6" 2 layer round coverd in lighter blue fondant with royal icing snowflakes and the "ice castle" on top.

CAREcakes Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 12:15am
post #7 of 10

The cake she wants....

Danni's Cakes | Frozen Cake- maybe use Disney infinity figures instead of olaf?

The cake she'll get...

Disney Frozen Cake-this will probably be my daughters cake for bday #6

-K8memphis Posted 21 Sep 2014 , 12:17am
post #8 of 10

oh i'd use foam -- i use foamed even before i had the cutter for it -- so if they don't have to eat it --why not --

oh i got an idea -- how about royal icing!!  could you make it covered with icicles? i mean this is a church but it's similar to your design --

http://cosybites.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/royal-icing-church-and-oriental-string-work-completed-cake1.jpg?w=610&h=915

here's the pattern 

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=royal+icing+church&qpvt=royal+icing+chuirch&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=CB01EE778B63989C7AFE6A93E6821F0C7B10B4EE&selectedIndex=9

if the links don't travel well -- just google "royal icing church"

know what though? you could easily do a gingerbread house covered with royal icing -- use more honey than molasses -- it's stronger

sandilee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandilee123 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 5:26am
post #9 of 10

AUse upside down ice cream cones for the turrets

JulieCromie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieCromie Posted 23 Nov 2015 , 2:18pm
post #10 of 10

I know this is a year after you posted this question, but did you ever find out the name of the original baker/decorator of that cake? How did yours end up turning out? I just did the same cake this past weekend, and cannot find the original.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%