Cake Levelers

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 19 Sep 2014 , 9:29pm by cakegrandma

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 13

So, I have been using the small Wilton cake leveler forever.  I am terrible at cutting a cake in half without it.  The small Wilton only spans as big as a 10" cake.  I'm needing to invest in something larger....I cannot justify the Agbay, yet.  I know it's the best, but was hoping someone could point me in the direction of let's say, it's cheaper cousin! 

I found this one at Pfeil & Holing.  Does anyone have it?  Like it/hate it??

http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=12117&p_catid=&page=1

Thanks, in advance.

12 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 13

no i've never used that one -- i use an 18" cake knife to torte/level and i've used the large wilton one -- but the one in the picture looks really nice -- especially considering the cost of the agbay --

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 12:44am
post #3 of 13

I have a single blade Agbay--the absolute best money I've ever spent on a cake decorating tool. 

I went straight from an 18" knife to the Agbay and I've never, ever regretted it.

I would say put $10/week away in an envelope from now until Dec. 20 and then order your Agbay.  Don't waste the $48+ s/h on something that is a very poor second cousin.

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 3:44am
post #4 of 13

AI have the double blade Agbay, thanks to my children's Christmas gift. Start dropping hints, when a few family members chip in, it's not that bad

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 11:33am
post #5 of 13

I had that one at one time...personally I didn't like it.  Two reasons....it was difficult to accurately adjust the blade height and since the base was only about 1 inch square, it was hard to prevent tilting.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 11:34am
post #6 of 13

The link you posted does look like a reasonable leveler.  The issue is with how sturdy and inflexible the set up is, which is hard to judge from a picture.  The less expensive levelers I tried bent and flexed and did not produce level cuts, especially if the cakes were a bit cold,  or denser like carrot cake.  I know you have heard it before, but the Agbay is so worth it if at all possible.  I probably spent half the price of the Agbay on  useless less expensive levelers that ended up in the trash. That, my KAs, and good pans- couldn't do without.  I hope you can get one.  I would recommend the 20" but just the single blade to save money.  You can always get the second blade later if desired.  I have the single blade, and really don't feel the need for the double, although I am not high volume.  HTH

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 13

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbcake 

I have the double blade Agbay\

I have the double blade Agbay too. It has been one of the best investments I ever made.

mrsmac888 Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by crumbcake 

I have the double blade Agbay, thanks to my children's Christmas gift. Start dropping hints, when a few family members chip in, it's not that bad

LOL  My birthday just passed!  I was dropping hints so hard it was shaking the house...I got an airbrush system.  It's nice, but I am so not ready for that yet.  Hopefully I acted surprised and happy to receive it! 

mrsmac888 Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybenot 

I have a single blade Agbay--the absolute best money I've ever spent on a cake decorating tool. 

I went straight from an 18" knife to the Agbay and I've never, ever regretted it.

I would say put $10/week away in an envelope from now until Dec. 20 and then order your Agbay.  Don't waste the $48+ s/h on something that is a very poor second cousin.

maybenot,

I like this idea.  I already have a "mad money" stash that could get me started.  Happy Birthday to me!?!?!  Right?  Just late....  :-)

mrsmac888 Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett 

I had that one at one time...personally I didn't like it.  Two reasons....it was difficult to accurately adjust the blade height and since the base was only about 1 inch square, it was hard to prevent tilting.

Thanks Jeff,

That is just the reason I was asking if anyone else had one.  The stand does not look very stable.  Maybe I'll keep looking....or bite the bullet.

C~

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 13

PM me and I will send you a link to a leveler I really like......

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 7:10pm
post #12 of 13

The Agbay - any version - is the only leveler worth any $, IMO.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 9:29pm
post #13 of 13

I have the double AgBay and I think it was the most amazing utensil that I could have spent that money. Actually, it was a Happy Divorce you jerk present to myself.  Which ever the way you get one, get ready to put that huge smile on your face!!!!!  ;-D;-D:party:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%