Cracked Fondant

Decorating By annagon Updated 28 Oct 2014 , 7:48pm by costumeczar

annagon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annagon Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 6

AI don't know if I'd classify this as a disaster but I just flew cross country with an 8" fondant ruffle cake that's going to be the top of a cupcake tower for a friends wedding. The ruffles survived but the smooth fondant on top cracked, I think front the impact on landing. Is there any way to save it? It will most likely be covered with rose petals, but just knowing it's there...suggestions?

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 6

You can make a paste out of the same coloured fondant and water and try to fill it in - should be the consistency of thick royal icing, pipe it over the crack and smooth with a small spatula, damp finger, or damp paintbrush. You can do a couple of layers leaving to dry between each. Depends on how wide the crack is. If it is hairline or just a bit larger, this will work. If you could slot a coin in there, it will notice too much and you'd just be better covering with petals as you say. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 12:21am
post #3 of 6

You can also use buttercream to fill it in if it's the same color or close enough.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 4:53am
post #4 of 6

AI've used royal, tinted to match, works great for little 'out of the way' cracks.

Masheshock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Masheshock Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 6

AWhat causes fondant to crack?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masheshock 

What causes fondant to crack?

Sometimes it just stretches and ends up with marks on it when you're covering the cake. Not a crack from being dry so much as from being stretched.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%