Cake Pricing Example - Does This Look Right?

Business By sleepy20520 Updated 16 Sep 2014 , 5:59pm by -K8memphis

sleepy20520 Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 3:02am
post #1 of 13

So lately (after 3 years in business) Ive been second guessing my pricing (well i always have lol).

So i just did a quote for someone on a specific cake picture.  I wanted to post it here and see if it looks on par with others pricing??? Im in the midwest.  I know other places around here charge the same as far as the cake/icing/fondant price.  Im always unsure how to charge things like decorations etc (esp ones ive never done)...and i second guess myself even more when someone acts like its so overpriced.

But im also sick of doing a ton of work for cheaper than i think i should ya know?
Anyways, any input please!!!

Here is the cake and here is the pricing i came up with below it

2 tiers (6” & 8” = 30 servings)

Strawberry Cake $3.75/serving

Vanilla Buttercream $.50/serving

Piping $.50/serving

Fondant $1/serving

$5.75/serving x 30 = $172.50

+ Crown on top $30

+ Edible Images (faces) $20

+ Edible Snowflakes $18.75 ($.75/each -25 total)

+ Blue Ombre (light to dark) Airbrush $7

+ Name & Number $5

+ Ribbon around board $7

= $260.25 Plus tax

12 replies
winniemog Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 10:49am
post #2 of 13

AYou might want to do a search on the legalities of selling cakes with copyright images. There's lots of threads on CC about this.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 13

clearly that's one way to do it but what you might want to look at is establishing:

• classic fondant cake price
  • classic buttercream cake price
  • select fondant cake price
  • select buttercream price

include the bottom board and a certain amount of decor -- like 30 mins for small and an hour for larger cakes --no overthinking then all you have to concentrate on is the potential upcharge for decor that takes longer than that -- for example the crown and the images would clearly increase cost -- - the snowflakes and airbrushing imo would fall under the basic amount of decor that's already figured into your price per serving --

people don't like to be nickel and dimed so you want to average out your cake flavors/fillings into a reasonable cost per serving where you might slightly overcharge for vanilla and undercharge for the chocolate but overall it averages out -

will save a ton of grief where you can use all that energy to overthink other areas of caking icon_biggrin.gif

and i hope you just gave your client a price and did not list all that out for them :)

-K8memphis Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 13

oh and of course the difference between classic and select prices is that select pricing is for cakes that take more ingredients like an italian cream cake with cream cheese filling  or a grand marnier splash in a cake with whipped cream and fresh strawberry filling -- so you have price differential built in -- but still you might an across the board upcharge on choc/choc cake depending on your recipes --

and i am curious -- $15 for piping two borders?

but my point is to simplify that for yourself and your clients --

best to you

cakesbycathy Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 13

It does seem like you are nickel and diming every little detail.  When I charge I have one price for buttercream and one for fondant.  That includes the filling and just about all decorating unless there is some significant extra work involved (like tons of flowers or intricate piping). 

In that cake above the only extras I'm charging for are the crown and the edible image.  Everything else would be included in my base price for the cake. I can't see how you justify to the customer charging for every single snowflake on there and the writing. 

Personally I charge $3.25 for fondant cakes.  $8 for the edible image and $15 for a gumpaste crown so that would be a $120.50 cake.

kakeladi Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 13

I pertty much agree w/cakesbycathy.  I would not charge extra for:

+ Edible Images (faces) $20

+ Edible Snowflakes $18.75 ($.75/each -25 total)

+ Blue Ombre (light to dark) Airbrush $7

+ Name & Number $5

+ Ribbon around board $7

If this was made w/o the faces & crown how much would you sell it for?  You have to give the customer *some* decorating w/o charging extra! 

Airbrushing this cake is part of basic decorating.  In my book so are the snowflakes and ribbon.  One3 almost always put someone's name & # of yrs on a cake so why charge extra? 

.........sick of doing a ton of work for cheaper than i think i should.........

They you need to raise your basic price.

jenmat Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 12:18am
post #7 of 13

You can use that for yourself as a guide on what to charge, but no way am I showing that to a customer.

I can just imagine the conversation...."Can I reduce the snowflakes? Where is the piping? I don't NEED the ribbon around the base if it costs that much!" 

Like I said, probably a good idea to breakdown things like that before you bid it out, but there is no need to give the customer that much power. 

sleepy20520 Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 12:59am
post #8 of 13

Thanks guys.  I wasnt sending that to the client i was just breaking it down on here for you guys... sorry i should have specified.

im glad i got some input.

i can honestly say thats the first time ive started breaking it down so much... usually i just throw in things like names/airbrush, etc.

i guess in my opinion things like snowflakes and edible images are not included in a base price and thats something we've always done... but that is also common with other bakers here so im ok with that.

as far as piping goes....i think a basic border like that should be included (you are all right).  i think extra piping comes into play when its alot more (ie brushed embroidery or something extensive)

Thanks for all your input guys!

cakesbycathy Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 2:07am
post #9 of 13

Aside from the crown and the edible image I don't see anything on here that isn't basic decorating.  Really.  I guess I don't understand what you see that would be considered excessive work that justifies the extra charges.  And when you break it down $260 for 30 servings = $8.67 per serving. 

cai0311 Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 13

A

Original message sent by cakesbycathy

Aside from the crown and the edible image I don't see anything on here that isn't basic decorating.  Really.  I guess I don't understand what you see that would be considered excessive work that justifies the extra charges.  And when you break it down $260 for 30 servings = $8.67 [B][I]per serving. [/I][/B]

I agree with Kathy. But I would also add an extra fee for the snowflakes. Those are time consuming to make.

Personally I would charge: $4.50/serving for fondant covered cake (includes filling) = $135 Crown = $20 Images = $15 Snowflakes = $20

Total = $190

But, instead of the edible images I would tell the client they had to buy Frozen figurine toys at the local store to put on the cakes because the images are copyright and unless permission is grated, illegal to put on a cake.

Without the images the cake would be $175 (5.83/serving)

cakesbycathy Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 13

I have a snowflake cutter I bought at Country Kitchen.  All you have to do is roll out fondant and use the cutter.  Takes very little time.

I could see charging extra if you were making them individually out of royal icing or something but the cutter makes is very easy.  ;-D

Agree about the figures instead of the edible image.

cai0311 Posted 16 Sep 2014 , 4:43pm
post #12 of 13

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy 

I have a snowflake cutter I bought at Country Kitchen.  All you have to do is roll out fondant and use the cutter.  Takes very little time.

I could see charging extra if you were making them individually out of royal icing or something but the cutter makes is very easy.  ;-D

Agree about the figures instead of the edible image.

I will have to look into getting one of thse cutters. That would save a ton of time. And I agree, if a cutter is used I won't charge extra for the snowflakes.

On a side note, Cathy, we are practically neighbors. I am in OH too.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Sep 2014 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 13

another idea is to pipe white chocolate snowflakes -- they melt like the real thing :-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%