Using Sugar Glass On A Cake

Decorating By Krymson Updated 14 Sep 2014 , 3:29pm by Krymson

Krymson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krymson Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 12:56am
post #1 of 4

I'm trying to replicate the look of water (a waterfall effect) on a cake using sugar glass. I'm having a couple of problems. One is my MMF keeps melting off when I apply the sugar glass. Is there a different medium i could use to cover the cake with or a different technique to use to apply the sugar glass?

Also after my sugar glass has set overnight it becomes very sticky and cloudy looking. Could this be due to my recipe I"m using, the fact that the humidity has been 65% + all week, or am i not cooking it long enough to a hard crack stage? The recipe I'm using (1 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup corn syrup, 1/2 water)

Thanks in advance for any advice and tips.

3 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 10:46am
post #2 of 4

AI made a waterfall for the side of a jungle cake. I used blue isomalt, which I melted and poured onto a piece of foil shaped as I wanted the waterfall. I then let it cool and placed it on the fondant-covered cake. The isomalt doesn't cloud and I placed it on the cake around 24 hours ahead of cake time at the party.

Is your MMF melting because you're pouring the sugar glass straight on to cake?

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 11:15am
post #3 of 4

As far as the sugar going cloudy, that is normal.  When you are using real sugar you usually have to wait to make  your piece until the day the cake will be served.  The sugar can be made up ahead of time and stored in a dry place wrapped in cling wrap, but once you use it that piece will start getting cloudy and sticky after a day.  Depending what your piece it, it typically will only last a 3 or 4 days before it slumps into a mess.  (This has been my experience anyway, others may know some tricks).  I think this is why a lot of people use isomalt which lasts forever but you don't want to eat it.  So there is the trade off.  Good luck and post pictures, would love to see it.

Krymson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krymson Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 4

AThe first time i did it i just poured it over my MMF and it just fell in a heap of goo. Lol. I then just poured it on a greased cookie sheet let it cool till I could handle it but still warm enough to shape. This worked better but i still had some slipping with the MMF. Ill try doing the whole peice on foil and let it cool completly.

This cake is for a contest so im not sure if isomalt is allowed. Ill have to look back at my rules. But i may just wait till last minute and if it clouds i guess just go with it. (Some water is kinda cloudy)

Thanks for the help. Contest is the 26th so ill post pics around then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%