Freezing A Cake Frosted In Smbc Or Imbc

Decorating By Naivohw Updated 15 Sep 2014 , 2:08am by -K8memphis

Naivohw Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 12:52am
post #1 of 4

Sorry if this a repost, the last one didn't show up because of my new member status, but I don't see it around anywhere.

So I am making a 6" or 8" (not sure yet) double round for a baby shower this Saturday. It will be frosted in Swiss or Italian meringue BC. My only free day to it is Tuesday, if I freeze the cake will the frosting hold up until Saturday? I've only really worked with American BC.

As far as the method, the internet seems to say to freeze it uncovered until the frosting is hard, and then wrap it in several layers of plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil, and then let it defrost in the fridge 24 hrs before serving. Does that sound about right?

Also, is the Swiss or Italian better for freezing, or are they about the same. I've made the Italian BC once, and never the Swiss.

I should add, I'm not getting paid for the cake, it's a favor for my best friend who is throwing the shower for her sister-in-law. And in fact, she didn't even want a cake (we are also making mini cheesecakes, which is what she requested) but I need to build my portfolio, and if nothing else it will be a cute centerpiece for the gift table. So if it isn't perfect it's not the end of the world, but I would like to not look totally inept when it comes to making a cake. Thanks for any help!

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 4

people do that all the time exactly as you have described it and it probably would work fine -- what i do is freeze the uniced cake -- do you have time saturday to final ice and decorate it? 

and also as you go you want to test out your recipes in and out of the freezer to ensure that all goes well --

best to you

Naivohw Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 1:36am
post #3 of 4

Forgot to add that the other (selfish :p) reason I want to have it done by Tuesday is that I am entering a cake competition through my work (I decorate at a grocery store, but I promise I'm not a Cake Wrecks decorator!) and they need the portfolios by Wednesday. If this cake comes out well I think it would really boost my portfolio, and I want to make it to the regional competition! Otherwise I could probably finish it over a couple late nights after work closer to Saturday. But like I said, if it doesn't thaw perfect it's not the end of the world, and it will be nice to personally see how a SMBC holds up in my freezer, and how the whole process works.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 2:08am
post #4 of 4

AWell go for it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%