How Much Of This Can I Do Ahead Of Time?

Decorating By cait1219 Updated 14 Sep 2014 , 1:36pm by cait1219

cait1219 Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 5

Hey everyone!  I need a little advice...I'm going to make this cake but I would ideally like to make the big bow and all of the ruffles ahead of time.  The lady whose blog I saw the cake on did it all in one day and she put toothpicks under all of the attached ruffles to help them poof out a little.  Any suggestions on how to get that effect while they're drying?  Also, what would you use to attach all of the dried fondant ruffles to the fondant on the cake?  Thanks for your help!

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 3:27am
post #2 of 5

I sure would make them ahead of time.  Making them stand away from the cake will be easy when they are dry.  No toothpicks needed :)  Without seeing the blog directions I think all one needs to do is make circles, slightly ruffle them and fold in 1/2 then take the flat (folded) side and pinch them together some (from side to side) this will further ruffle them a bit more.

cait1219 Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your reply!  The lady on the blog showed how to make the ruffles which were really easy...she cut about 3in long strips by 1in wide and then ruffled them.  What do you think the best way to attach it would be since they'll already be dried?  Would you still use piping gel or would you thin down fondant to make fondant adhesive?  I've never thinned it down so I'm not sure how well that works.  Thanks again for your response!

kakeladi Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 5

.............  What do you think the best way to attach it....thin down fondant to make fondant adhesive?......

Yes, thinned down fondant.  It's really easy :)  Just add a bit of water to a small golf ball sized lump and stir until it is about the consistency of white glue or a bit thicker.  Dip your ruffle edge into that, wipe most of it off and place the ruffle.  You might have to hold it in place for a minute before it stays.

cait1219 Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 5

Great!  Thanks for your help! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%