Easiest Cake Ever Is A Disaster

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 15 Sep 2014 , 6:05am by Pastrybaglady

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 4:44am
post #1 of 5

I'm doing a cake for my friend's daughter's birthday tomorrow. I volunteered to do it and am not charging her. It was supposed to be the easiest cake ever - Plain purple cake with no decorations and a pink border. Easy enough! Well, somehow I didn't realize until I went to pipe the stupid border that my icing is too wet! The border is droopy and looks absolutely horrible! My husband says it looks "a little droopy" but not too bad to a cake layman. I'm mortified! So my question - should I scrape it off in the morning and start over? And if so, will there be a mark on the cake where the first border was? The cake is on a board covered in royal icing, so will there be marks on the royal icing as well? I don't want to scrape it off if I'm not 100% sure it's going to look ok after I redo it. I guess at this point it couldn't get much worse :(  oh FYI - I used butter in my buttercream, not shortening. Please someone make me feel better! Thanks!!!

4 replies
Bunny0410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunny0410 Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 5:23am
post #2 of 5

I would remove now.

At least you can survey the damage and have time to think about how to cover it up. If you leave it till the morning, you will get all frustrated and it will seem much harder than it really is.

There is a billion ways to cover a whoopsie, you just have to be creative and decide which way to go.

Good luck!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 6:57am
post #3 of 5

@annakat444 You know.......I think that you're a great sport with a great big fluffy heart to do this at all.  It's a freebie!  Don't sweat it.  Look at it as an excellent opportunity to find out how to do something that you've never done before.   @Bunny0410 advice and stiffen the stuff and go wild on it.:razz:

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm so glad I listened to you both instead of my husband ;) I fixed it and it looked perfect. I for some reason always feel like once it's on the cake, you can't go back. I think I need to loosen up and know that mistakes will happen, it's just a matter of knowing how to fix them! anyway, thanks again!  :)

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 6:05am
post #5 of 5

Good for you!  Sometimes the easiest ones are the ones you kick yourself the most over.  Just tonight I was making a banana cake for my family.  I didn't feel the need to do anything I normally would.  Just bake a cake and slap some icing between and on top.  I was trying to replicate the taste of a specific cake and went with an American buttercream.  It was sooo sweet so I decided to add some cream cheese.  All I had was the low fat kind - now I know better than this, but it's just for family.  Who cares if it's a little runny.  Uh yeah... I put it in the fridge to firm up a bit because it was so warm today.  My fridge was so full I just placed the cake in on top of other stuff, slightly at an angle. Well, the top layer slid right off leaving a buttercream trail to the bottom of the fridge!  So stupid, but still delicious :D.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%