How Long In Advance Can I Make And Design A Fondant Cake?

Decorating By annebaligod Updated 12 Sep 2014 , 2:36pm by annebaligod

annebaligod Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 3:16am
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone,

I know that probably there are other threads like this but i couldn't find specific answers for my questions. I am making my first fondant DOLL cake (or fondant cake for that matter). I have been accepting orders for cupcakes for about a year and i wanted to try making a fondant cakes so, for my niece's sofia the first themed birthday, i was thinking of giving it as a gift so i can try or experiment if i can make fondant cakes too to sell in the future. So, here are my questions:

The birthday party is on a Friday, how far in advance can i cover/design the cake with fondant? I have read a lot of threads asking about how far in advance they can bake the cake so i know i can make it far in advance and freeze them, but there were no answers regarding covering/designing it with fondant. 

I use Rhonda's MMF recipe all the time to design my cupcake toppers (i found it here in cakecentral) and i usually get problems with the fondant because of it's sweating. I am afraid that if i make the cake too far in advance it will sweat and become a real mess. Do you have any tips so i can avoid it from happening with my fondant cake? Also, i am from the Philippines and it's real humid here this time of year. (I just thought that might be important LOL)

And lastly, if i do make it in advance, how should do i store it? I know for sure not to put it in the fridge! (i read a lot of forum threads LOL) should i put it in a covered box or a cake courier? or would that cause even more sweating? or just leave it on a counter top?

Hope to hear from you guys! Thanks!

- Anne

13 replies
kakeladi Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 3:50am
post #2 of 14

...........party is on a Friday, how far in advance can i cover/design the cake with fondant?.................

Depends on the type of cake.  Is it a standard US (like box mix) cake?   Is it mud or fruit cake? 

Much different answer depending on your answer.

........Rhonda's MMF recipe ... usually get problems with the fondant because of it's sweating. I am afraid that if i make the cake too far in advance it will sweat and become a real mess. Do you have any tips so i can avoid it from happening with my fondant cake? Also, i am from the Philippines and it's real humid here this time of year. (I just thought that might be important LOL)..........

I am not familiar w/that recipe so someone else will have to answer your other ?s.

annebaligod Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 3:59am
post #3 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakeladi 

...........party is on a Friday, how far in advance can i cover/design the cake with fondant?.................

Depends on the type of cake.  Is it a standard US (like box mix) cake?   Is it mud or fruit cake? 

Much different answer depending on your answer.

I am making a simple Red Velvet cake.

Thank you.

Bunny0410 Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 5:31am
post #4 of 14

it also depends on your filling too.

is it cream based or contain anythng that will spoil?

annebaligod Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 5:34am
post #5 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunny0410 

it also depends on your filling too.

is it cream based or contain anythng that will spoil?

i'm just using cream cheese frosting.

ty

AZCouture Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 5:37am
post #6 of 14

And actually, you for surely can put cakes in the fridge, I surely do put every single one I make in the fridge, without fail. ;) Some people's never evers, are others must always do.

And simple red velvet….is that the name of a recipe? The question about it being box or mix was important. If it's a box mix, well I don't think those ever rot, do they? Aren't they like Twinkies, and will outlive the cockroaches? Kidding…..sort of. If it's scratch baked with all natural ingredients, no preservatives, well, there's nothing to keep it from going bad. So that makes a difference right there, and why "simple red velvet" doesn't clarify anything for us.

AZCouture Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 5:40am
post #7 of 14

You have to experiment and see if fringing cakes is feasible in your climate, but it's definitely not a bad thing for quite a few of us.

annebaligod Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 8:01am
post #8 of 14

Hi guys! thanks so much for your replies. I may not have been very clear with pointing out that i am making a FONDANT DOLL cake (A doll with a cake for a skirt). I am planning to use Red velvet cake made from scratch (i use them for cupcakes usually) and use cream cheese frosting for filling and crumb coating then cover with FONDANT. what i am actually asking is (1) how many days before FRIDAY should i cover and design with FONDANT not bake the cake. and (2) after i cover the cake with FONDANT am i supposed to put it in a fridge? 'coz i have read quite a lot of FONDANT cake threads that says i shouldn't. or should i put it in a covered box? or should i just leave it on a counter or a table?

Thanks!

PS. here's a photo of what the cake that i am trying to make looks like.

ElizaW Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 9:27am
post #9 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by annebaligod 

Hi guys! thanks so much for your replies. I may not have been very clear with pointing out that i am making a FONDANT DOLL cake (A doll with a cake for a skirt). I am planning to use Red velvet cake made from scratch (i use them for cupcakes usually) and use cream cheese frosting for filling and crumb coating then cover with FONDANT. what i am actually asking is (1) how many days before FRIDAY should i cover and design with FONDANT not bake the cake. and (2) after i cover the cake with FONDANT am i supposed to put it in a fridge? 'coz i have read quite a lot of FONDANT cake threads that says i shouldn't. or should i put it in a covered box? or should i just leave it on a counter or a table?

Thanks!

PS. here's a photo of what the cake that i am trying to make looks like.

That cake is adorable.  As far as your question regarding:  (1) how many days before FRIDAY should i cover and design with FONDANT not bake the cake.  I always do my fondant and decorations the day before the cake is going to be served.  I have one right now waiting for decorations and fondant to be applied today.  Can't help with the other questions since I use a box cake mix and don't refrigerate my fondant cakes.  Someday I am going to try it though as some say the condensation dissipates within a couple of hours.  Since I need a new fridge, I wouldn't dare try it with mine.  Plus our humidity is horrendous here.

annebaligod Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 9:30am
post #10 of 14

thanks! do you have sweating problems with your fondant? any tips to avoid it?

ElizaW Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 10:21am
post #11 of 14

No issues with my fondant but I use carma massa ticino tropic.  It's made for humid weather.  I know there are others out there that have their favorite brand of fondant.  I researched quite a bit because I needed something that would hold up in hot, humid weather.  I honestly have not tried another brand, too afraid to.

annebaligod Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 10:40am
post #12 of 14

thanks. i make my own fondant... i wonder if other people has problems with their home-made fondant.... hmmm

dukeswalker Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 2:02pm
post #13 of 14

My cake plan looks something like this:

48 hours prior: level, fill, stack and let settle for a few hours in the fridge with a weight on top

36 hours prior: take ice cold cake out of fridge & cover with fondant.  If we're having humidity issues, I work very quickly, dust frequently with cornstarch as needed and keep a small fan pointing at that baby. Back in the fridge she goes.

24 hours prior: decorate as desired, stack, etc. Keep in fridge until ready to deliver.

(Oh - and I use MMF)

annebaligod Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 2:36pm
post #14 of 14

thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukeswalker 

My cake plan looks something like this:

48 hours prior: level, fill, stack and let settle for a few hours in the fridge with a weight on top

36 hours prior: take ice cold cake out of fridge & cover with fondant.  If we're having humidity issues, I work very quickly, dust frequently with cornstarch as needed and keep a small fan pointing at that baby. Back in the fridge she goes.

24 hours prior: decorate as desired, stack, etc. Keep in fridge until ready to deliver.

(Oh - and I use MMF)

thanks so much for your very detailed answer. sounds like a great plan i might just try it thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%