Cheesecake That Looks Like A Reese's Cup?

Decorating By tmd71 Updated 15 Sep 2014 , 12:15pm by tmd71

tmd71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmd71 Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, I have a request for a grooms cake that is a 10" peanut butter cheesecake but it has a chocolate candy outer shell to make it look like a Reeses Cup... My 1st thought is to make the cheesecake & then set it down into a candy "shell' made from painting sides of torte pan w melted milk chocolate... and then finally covering top w melted chocolate.... but my concern is that the torte pan will have angled bottom & cheesecake will be perfectly round.  You can't really trim a cheesecake like you can a cake.... any suggestions?  I also have to make 2 smaller versions for bride & groom to take with them. (approx 4-5").

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 6

you sure can trim the cheesecake -- freeze it and flip it over so it's bottom side up and trim away -- you can even leave it upside down to refreeze or re-chill in order to flip back over -- because you might want it to thaw slightly in order for it to be soft enough to carve it --

for the smaller ones-- pour your chocolate into large muffin liners to make the pleated edge reese's like shells -- do they make muffing liners that big?

tmd71 Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 6

THANK YOU!  That's good to know... I was afraid that the crust would crumble apart if I tried to trim it.  For the smaller ones, I'm going to use the big cupcake pan (Wonder pan)... it has the pleated bottom built in.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 12:00am
post #4 of 6

cheese cake regenerates -- it just grows back together even if it's cut -- you might want to trim into the crust when it is upright then smoothy smooth it out upside down -- because when i cut cheesecake i use a dough cutter and just press down -- you probably will protect the crust by cutting it upright --

you can bake it without the crust too -- like for a no-bake cheesecake -- you could just press the crumb mixture into the chocolate crust -- or just use a no-bake cheesecake altogether --

http://joyofbaking.com/NoBakeCheesecake.html

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 8:01am
post #5 of 6

If you are baking one that is sturdy like the ones out of the cake bible- you can carve and sculpt them.  I've done them with both cake and cheesecake.   Just bake your cheese cake.  Freeze it.  Use Chocolate or brown fondant-   I put a layer of buttercream on the cheesecake just for "glue".

accordion fold a piece of paper or card stock the height of your final sides. (it should be about an 1/2- 3/4  inch taller than the cake)  Cut a strip of your rolled brown fondant then lay it on the accordion folds so it makes the WWW..You might have to press it a little so it takes shape.  Let it set a short time.  Then just  roll it onto the sides of your cheesecake. Use a hard edge or a ruler to press the v parts into the icing.     It should look like the sides of a reeeses cup.  I pour ganache over the top and it seals into the fondant and looks just like a reeses cup!   I've done this lots with both cheesecakes and cake.   *

tmd71 Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much JanetBme for the info... that sounds like the best way I've seen so far!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%