Palm Tree Arch Out Of Pvc?

Decorating By laureli Updated 22 Sep 2014 , 2:20pm by -K8memphis

laureli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laureli Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 4:32am
post #1 of 10

I want to make a palm tree arch but not sure it will stand up ok. I wanted to make a two tier stacked cake ten and 6 inches.  I wanted to basically make the st Louis arch and have it be about 18 inches tall out of PVC and Go through the ten inch cake down to the bottom board and run upwards along the sides of the 6 inch cake and be about ten inches above the cake.  I thought I would drill a set of holes on each side and put palm leaves on wires and coat the pvc trunk with fondant circles.  My main question is if just sticking it in the ten inch cake is enough stability for something so tall.  I maybe could run pins from the trunl into the sides of the 6 inch cake if necessary/  Any suggestions or advice

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 10

Aif I get what you're saying you'll want to plant the base of your structure into something under the cake into the board -- I often have a slice of foam under the cake board to anchor things into --

the slice of foam actually I cut smaller than the botom board and just elevates it off the tabletop an inch or so --

so why are you drilling holes on either side there? are you anchoring the pvc into a phlange? that would be perfect -- but you want to be sure that it's not too top heavy --

How big around is your tree trunk? you mean like one half of the st Louis arch?

laureli Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 5:32am
post #3 of 10

AI wanted some holes to put wired palm leaves into and then cover in fondant to hide. I was looking for a pair of trees that sort of met do it would resemble the at Louis arch. Thanks for the comment about securing it. The diameter I was thinking one and a quarter inch

laureli Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 12:11am
post #5 of 10

AI will be moving this off this construction board and onto a cake with the same phlange setup as this. Letting it dry a couple days Thanks for the awesome advice

-K8memphis Posted 20 Sep 2014 , 1:40am
post #6 of 10

Athose look awesome -- i pictured a much more bowed effect -- i see the st louisness of your trees and you did a good job -- can't wait to see the cake

-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 10

i love your cake -- it's so soft, pretty, tropical and i can hear IZ singing 'somewhere over the rainbow' from there

stunning

nice thick bottom board to plant & hold up the trees -- perfect

laureli Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 10

AIt's my girls bday. One is a blonde. One is a burnette hence the two hula girls on top. We had a luau bday party so this was their Hawaii cake. I managed to get strep this week and kinda didn't finish everything I had planned but the kids were thrilled. The other side of tha cake had my other daughters name on it

-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2014 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 10

omg-- strep throat! yoiks -- well you'd never know by what a beautiful cake you produced -- hope you got a lot of good meds and are resting yes resting all nestled in with the remote nearby, a good book, some nice sweet tea and big glass of water -- 

and come on -- the cake is 360 degrees  too? get outa here! even better --

feet up right now :-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%