Painting Bc Drop Strings Then Refrigerating?

Decorating By HannahsMomi Updated 11 Sep 2014 , 12:40am by HannahsMomi

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 6

I have a buttercream wedding cake I'm doing which will have buttercream drop strings on it..  I will be painting the drop strings silver with airbrush color and a paintbrush after it has crusted.  The cake must be refrigerated because it has lemon curd as a filling.  Will refrigerating it be an issue for the painted drop strings as the cake comes back to room temperature for the wedding?  Will the silver paint bleed on  to the cake?

5 replies
forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 6

AI didn't think lemon curd required refrigeration, the eggs are cooked. Not that I haven't refrigerated I am now curious.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 6

AI think you should do a test since not all fridges are the same in terms of humidity and also the area where you live might affect the outcome (humid/dry climate etc). Put a smear of bc on a cake circle or cake pan, pipe a string or two, paint when ready then put in the fridge. See what happens when you take it out.

HannahsMomi Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 6

I've always thought lemon curd required refrigeration, doesn't it? :-?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 6

you'll see it just on the grocery store shelf unrefrigerated -- but after it's opened it's friged -- the kind we make at home is kept fridged the whole time because we did not y'know 'can' it -- heat seal it --

so yes must be fridged --

that painting will probably be ok --but yes testing takes out all the worry --

best to you

HannahsMomi Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 12:40am
post #6 of 6

Well, I am taking the advice and testing it tonight!  I frosted a small piece of cake and put some drop strings on it, then painted.  I'll put it in the fridge tonight and take it out in the morning.  We will see what happens!  Thanks for all of the advice!  Keep it coming if anyone else has thoughts/ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%