Structure Of The Cake

Decorating By manomi Updated 11 Sep 2014 , 2:51am by kakeladi

manomi Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 8

Hey everyone,

So a bride of mine wants the attached cake structure to be replicated (minus the hexagon at the bottom- so its going to be the top five tiers) I have previously done cakes with Styrofoam separators but all those cakes had one separating tier. This one as you can see has 2. Do you think its something that I should worry about? Those who have done something similar, is the structure hard to balance/ instable? The tiers are not going to be awfully big (5-7-9-11-13). So I am thinking of using a 7 inch disc under the 9 inch tier and a 5 inch on top of it (and under the 7 inch).  Any input would be greatly appreciated :))

Thanks a bunch!

7 replies
-K8memphis Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 8

that's probably right-- it's hard to tell because of the silver things and the roses blocking the view -- looks like they are silver 'feet' mimicking a footed cake stand maybe --

the only thing i'd think is the foam pieces might be smaller than you suggest -- one inch there is not that much graduation and you want to show that distinction off there -- i'd want to have the different sizes ready and get the best look if it was me -- i have tons of foam so i would set it up in advance but even then sometimes you need to get it all done before you can really tell --

no worries on stacking with all your good supports in there-- you just keep piling 'em up there and away you go --

manomi Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 8

Perfect, thanks :) So a 6 inch disc under the 9 inch maybe? I am just scared if its more than 2 inches, the cake might become unstable? You think it should be fine?

-K8memphis Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 8

Aa 6 under the 9 is fine -- a 4 or a 4.5 under the 7 -- that's why I like to set up all my dummies first to see which one I like best -- just depends what looks best to you

manomi Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 8

didavista Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 12:46am
post #6 of 8

AI want to do a cake with a separator like that. What kind of cake board do you use for the cake sitting on the smaller foam separator? I did a practice cake and used a regular cake circle and that obviously wasn't sturdy enough as the icing on the sides slid.

manomi Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 1:05am
post #7 of 8

I plan to use the acrylic plastic circle. Maybe a foam core one would be enough but rather safe than sorry.

kakeladi Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 2:51am
post #8 of 8

........did a practice cake and used a regular cake circle and that obviously wasn't sturdy enough as the icing on the sides slid.............

Not sure exactly what you experienced; did the icing slide off the cake or the cake circle bend where no support was under it?

I suggest the results you experienced had nothing to do w/the cake circle you used.   I have made dozens of cakes w/a smaller styrofoam separator and *never* did the icing sides slide. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%