Hard-Drying Icing (Like Royal) That Uses Melted Candy Wafers/ Any Melted Chocolate?

Baking By beachandsweets Updated 11 Sep 2014 , 1:05am by bikemom3

beachandsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachandsweets Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 7

This seems like a strange question I'm sure but I saw someone use melted candy wafers in buttercream and mmf to make it a bright red, and I have trouble making my royal icing bright red. Is there a recipe that can handle melted chocolate added to it?

6 replies
virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 7

I've never seen or read anything suggesting adding melted candy/chocolate to RI...but I did read tip (in a CC thread I think) about adding a small amount of cocoa powder to RI, then red coloring, the a period of rest to allow the color to darken. I tried it in combo with Wilton (No-Taste) Red gel and it worked quite well.

Then I purchased some AmeriColor Super Red, and had no trouble getting deep red RI without the cocoa powder trick. In fact, I had to be careful not to add too much AmeriColor Red; it's very strong! 

One thing to keep in mind...the color of wet RI may appear under developed, but once it starts to dry it will darken up. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 7

@beachandsweets if you need really dark red RI, use powdered red food coloring in addition to your gels.

beachandsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachandsweets Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 7

Yes I've heard to use cocoa powder but wasn't sure it works I will definitely try that! And I've heard the powdered food coloring too is that what the americolor is?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 12:37am
post #6 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachandsweets 

Yes I've heard to use cocoa powder but wasn't sure it works I will definitely try that! And I've heard the powdered food coloring too is that what the americolor is?

I was referring to the AmeriColor Super Red gel paste...but I believe they also make a powder.

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 1:05am
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%