Beach Bridal Shower Cake...with Whipped Frosting

Decorating By breyes0830 Updated 11 Sep 2014 , 11:07am by ElizaW

breyes0830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breyes0830 Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 4:34am
post #1 of 5

AHi everyone! I'm new to posting here and new to cake decorating, but needed some ideas for an upcoming bridal shower cake. I had sketched out some ideas for my friend's mom, but then she told me they wanted a whipped frosting so I tossed my original idea. My question is would I be able to use some fondant accents or will it end up being a whipped, melting mess :-( She also wanted me to incorporate waves and sand as well...Thanks everyone!

4 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 6:10am
post #2 of 5

ANope. No whipped nothing under fondant. Needs to be a buttercream or ganache of some sort. Research some meringue buttercream recipes. If the client wants whipped icing I think they will appreciate that texture

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 7:27am
post #3 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by breyes0830 

... would I be able to use some fondant accents or will it end up being a whipped, melting mess.... 

You are correct.  It would end up being a whipped, melting mess.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 11:56am
post #4 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

Nope. No whipped nothing under fondant. Needs to be a buttercream or ganache of some sort. Research some meringue buttercream recipes. If the client wants whipped icing I think they will appreciate that texture

Or just tell them that whipped icing won't work, that you're comfortable you can produce a good result using whatever your normal method is, and they can take it or leave it. Just because the customer wants something, doesn't mean you're obliged to provide it, especially if you haven't used it before.

ElizaW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizaW Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 11:07am
post #5 of 5

There is a way it can be done.  I asked this question before after seeing a cake here however it was in relation to using Frostin' Pride/Pastry Pride with gumpaste (not fondant) decorations.  Here is a link to that thread.

http://www.cakecentral.com/g/i/3055587/1-4-sheet-frosted-in-pastry-pride-all-decorations-are-gumpaste/

Truthfully, at the last minute I changed my mind and bought Easter chocolates wrapped in foil and used it for decorations.  Maybe you could do a test run and see how well it works for you?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%