Need Feedback Plz, 1St Gumpaste Leaves With Wires.

Lounge By MBalaska Updated 30 Aug 2016 , 9:56pm by MBalaska

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 10:22pm
post #211 of 313

Just received my book by Alan Dunn on flower arranging.  WOW

It's going to be more of a coffee table book, but there will be something in there that will be of help to me I'm sure.  Absolutely amazing flower arrangements.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 12:19am
post #212 of 313

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

It's going to be more of a coffee table book, but there will be something in there that will be of help to me I'm sure.  Absolutely amazing flower arrangements.

All of his books are wonderful...the one on roses and the one on orchids are basic reference books and they have a lot more than just those types of flowers in them. Totally worth buying.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 2:04am
post #213 of 313

Quote:

Yay!  I have several of his books.  I suspect there is a ton of things in there you can accomplish!

MBalaska Posted 10 Oct 2014 , 2:34am
post #214 of 313

There is one thing in his book that caught my attention.  I'm trying to picture it as I don't really understand his description.

I'm not sure if he means like a bow, or like a pretzel when he talks about "kitchen-paper ring formers".

I think he means parchment paper. so that both sides of the petal dry.

JWinslow Posted 10 Oct 2014 , 6:25am
post #215 of 313
Quote:

There is one thing in his book that caught my attention.  I'm trying to picture it as I don't really understand his description.

I'm not sure if he means like a bow, or like a pretzel when he talks about "kitchen-paper ring formers".

I think he means parchment paper. so that both sides of the petal dry.

Twisted paper towels made into a ring.  That's how I interpreted it. 

judy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judy3 Posted 10 Oct 2014 , 8:15am
post #216 of 313

Twisted and made to look like a donut, sorry need to run !!

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 5:59am
post #218 of 313

AI've just seen that cake, it's amazing, I'm totally gob smacked. Who would have thought that's what she meant when she was talking about a home for her flowers.....I'd imagined a single white tier - silly me! It really is inspirational, it makes you want to think bigger with everything!

JWinslow Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 11:57am
post #219 of 313

Awe, Thank you so much.  Yes  - the poppies needed a home :)  Glad you enjoyed.

MBalaska Posted 12 Oct 2014 , 3:18am
post #220 of 313

IIs the gumpaste rose supposed to be shiny?  I put some of the petal dust on the center to darken it a bit and put it through a quick run through the tea pot steam, and when it dried it was shiny.  did I make an error?

JWinslow Posted 12 Oct 2014 , 3:33am
post #221 of 313

It shouldn't be shiny.  Sounds like you got too close to the steam or just too much steam.
It really takes very little steam to set your color.  The steam from a tea kettle is strong and very hot so just a quick wave should do.

MBalaska Posted 12 Oct 2014 , 6:42am
post #222 of 313

Like Olivander said to Harry Potter..........     "go on give it a wave."  Ok I'm also a HP fanatic.  :razz:

MBalaska Posted 12 Oct 2014 , 11:53pm
post #223 of 313

OMG I just got back from the Post Office and I'm tickled pink.  :D   It's hard to believe that a little brown cardboard box wrapped in cellophane tape can bring such joy. @costumeczar  Your store is so wonderful, and I've enjoyed all the goodies that I've purchased from your great selection

............there is a story here.  and now I can tell it.:

When I went to the U.S Post Office to pick up the first package of petal dusts  that I'd ordered from you, you posted that you sent a test bit of your gumpaste.   It was a very thoughtful thing for a business to give a bonus to a repeat customer.  Anyhow, what was in my mail box *and logged into the USPO computer as "package delivered" was actually a great big box that had a picture of a snow cone machine or something huge like that.  It was addressed to someone else so I took it up to the counter and gave it back to them.

Days passed and my package didn't arrive.  On faith, and on the knowledge that you are a true business professional Kara, with great products and fabulous artistic talent,  I ordered another package and it arrived days ago.   I told my husband that I didn't want you to feel bad that your bonus package didn't show up, so I held off from mentioning it.

Back to today.  The first package arrived!!!  There must be a word that describes the feeling of finding something that you thought was lost forever.  Thank You Kara Buntin @costumeczar  You're a peach.

costumeczar Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 2:16am
post #224 of 313

Quote:

OMG I just got back from the Post Office and I'm tickled pink.  :D   It's hard to believe that a little brown cardboard box wrapped in cellophane tape can bring such joy. @costumeczar  Your store is so wonderful, and I've enjoyed all the goodies that I've purchased from your great selection

............there is a story here.  and now I can tell it.:

When I went to the U.S Post Office to pick up the first package of petal dusts  that I'd ordered from you, you posted that you sent a test bit of your gumpaste.   It was a very thoughtful thing for a business to give a bonus to a repeat customer.  Anyhow, what was in my mail box *and logged into the USPO computer as "package delivered" was actually a great big box that had a picture of a snow cone machine or something huge like that.  It was addressed to someone else so I took it up to the counter and gave it back to them.

Days passed and my package didn't arrive.  On faith, and on the knowledge that you are a true business professional Kara, with great products and fabulous artistic talent,  I ordered another package and it arrived days ago.   I told my husband that I didn't want you to feel bad that your bonus package didn't show up, so I held off from mentioning it.

Back to today.  The first package arrived!!!  There must be a word that describes the feeling of finding something that you thought was lost forever.  Thank You Kara Buntin @costumeczar  You're a peach.

I'm glad it finally got there!

MBalaska Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 3:21am
post #225 of 313

White carnations were todays adventure in gumpaste.  just made a few small ones, they're drying.  Now I know what good gumpaste is like. The difference between @costumeczar gumpaste and the stuff that I made is night-and-day.  I could roll those petals so thing I could see through them almost.  Looking forward to touching up the edges with some pink petal dust.

nice gumpaste @costumeczar  ;-D

costumeczar Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 10:20am
post #226 of 313

Quote:

White carnations were todays adventure in gumpaste.  just made a few small ones, they're drying.  Now I know what good gumpaste is like. The difference between @costumeczar gumpaste and the stuff that I made is night-and-day.  I could roll those petals so thing I could see through them almost.  Looking forward to touching up the edges with some pink petal dust.

nice gumpaste @costumeczar  ;-D

Good gumpaste makes a huge difference. What were you using, fondant with tylose in it? That's functional but it's not gumpaste, especially if you use commercial fondant to start with.

MBalaska Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 9:43pm
post #227 of 313

Yes, I can see what you mean!  Seriously no comparison using REAL gumpaste.  here's the first experiment in carnations.

They are smaller than I thought they'd be.  Petal dust- First I tried a plastic craft brush - yuck.  It didn't really work as it wouldn't hold the dust.  So I dug around in my brushes.  The stiff bristle brushes felt like they'd break the petals.  Finally I found that I  had a tiny sable brush.  It held the petal dust well, and it floated softly around all of the  petals.

Not that I got it on evenly, or well, but my hubby said that it did give some definition and dimension to the flowers.  And I didn't put them into the jet stream of my tea pot this time.  I got a small pan, boiled water, and waved each flower over the pan.  At least the flowers didn't get wet, shiny, or melt like the last time.

carnations in gumpaste with petal dust, 1st attempt

I can't even tell if this is in focus   :?  my broke computer is kaput, and I'm still using the borrowed 10" one and I can't see anything. This is the largest in the PME ********** carnation cutter set of 3.

It's a start :roll:

costumeczar Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 10:31pm
post #228 of 313

Those are good!

For brushes I use good artist's brushes so they won't drop hairs. I've seen people use makeup brushes, but if you do that make sure they're good quality or they'll start to shed all over what you're brushing.

MBalaska Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 10:58pm
post #229 of 313

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Those are good!

{Thank You @costumeczar.}

For brushes I use good artist's brushes so they won't drop hairs. I've seen people use makeup brushes, but if you do that make sure they're good quality or they'll start to shed all over what you're brushing.

Great!  You just saved me a small fortune.  I have tons of those. 

costumeczar Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 1:16am
post #230 of 313

Quote:

Oh, sure...As long as the brush is soft it will grab the petal dusts. The plastic bristles won't.

JWinslow Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 5:56am
post #231 of 313

MB, your carnations are very nice.  Yep, those soft artists brushes will make all the difference.  It is really fun watching you play :)

winniemog Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 6:05am
post #232 of 313

AThis is the best reality show out there....maybe someone should market MB to the TV networks.....except that she is way too talented and intelligent!

MBalaska Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 10:39pm
post #233 of 313

Not always  LOL......... watching me would be like watching snails do the 50 yard dash.  today i'll try the wired leaves again.  Some for the rose and some for the carnations. 

MBalaska Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 8:57am
post #234 of 313

I can see the difference in these wired gumpaste leaves already.  I think they need to be darker.  I just laid them out on the counter with a rose for a way to visualize them.  They are not steamed or glazed yet.  They still need to have the wires wrapped & be put together.  Darker though Yes??  The greatest improvement on the texture and thinness of the leaves was absolutely-positively because of @costumeczar Kara's gumpaste.

roses & leaves

Also a bit of the dark cherry red petal dust was put in the center and on the edges of the rose petals, the way that you guys suggested.  Onward and upward always shooting for the stars, and landing on my roof.

winniemog Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 9:16am
post #235 of 313

AI would definitely go darker with the leaves. I use a moss green and also aubergine dusts for my rose leaves. You don't have to start with very dark paste, you can develop a lot of the colour with the dust.

Your progress is amazing! You are shooting for the stars....and you're up there in the galaxies, well done!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 9:56am
post #236 of 313

Aren't carnations such a stress free flower to make.  What have you built them on?  It looks like lollipop sticks.  They are beautiful, though.

Sweet peas are a really good one too, MB.

MBalaska Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 10:09am
post #237 of 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniemog 

I would definitely go darker with the leaves. I use a moss green and also aubergine dusts for my rose leaves. You don't have to start with very dark paste, you can develop a lot of the colour with the dust.

Thank you.  I used the moss green and took the photo.  I have one shade darker and I just got done putting that on.  I'd almost have to add black to get it any darker.  It does look better.

I had to look up 'aubergine'. I put a touch of plum dust on the edge.  But it's the middle of the night and my photos never come out well without daylight and some lamps.

MBalaska Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 10:16am
post #238 of 313

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

Aren't carnations such a stress free flower to make.  What have you built them on?  It looks like lollipop sticks.  They are beautiful, though.

Sweet peas are a really good one too, MB.

Oh yes, the carnations were a pleasant surprise, la la la la, my fingers did get a workout frilling those edges, but that was the hardest part.  I put them on the wooden Japanese toothpicks that I mail ordered from amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RAFUIU/?tag=cakecentral-20+toothpicks

the ends have ridges so they are supposed to stick well in the gumpaste when glued.  That was something I think that Nicholas Lodge suggested.  My brain is getting full, It's quite simply not that large to begin with.

I added a bit more of the petal dusts on the edges of those carnations tonight, just to give them more color.  I think that I'll make some pink carnations to go with them and make my birthday cake with them.

MBalaska Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 10:24am
post #239 of 313

these roses were done on those picks also.........

gumpaste roses on SMBC

boy oh boy does it make it easy to stick into the cake.  Not that I'm very skilled at the placement - design stuff.  But good enough for government work.....

I know I'm not being very with it or professional here, but when I had to hang them upside down I just clipped them onto a rack with bulldog clips until they were dry.  You know me, I could've used duct tape I guess.  :grin:

MBalaska Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 10:37am
post #240 of 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Quote:

Oh, sure...As long as the brush is soft it will grab the petal dusts. The plastic bristles won't.

@costumeczar An eye shadow brush like this one on amazon.com is what I used for adding the green petal dust to the leaves.  It had been a concern for me that I'd break the gumpaste with the brush, but this brush is so soft and it held so much dust that it was easier than I thought.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8Q880W/?tag=cakecentral-20+brushes+eye+shadow%5C

enough for one day.......off to bed and some light reading.......the original constitutional congress discussions by the Federalist & Anti-Federalists will put me to sleep.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%