Need Feedback Plz, 1St Gumpaste Leaves With Wires.

Lounge By MBalaska Updated 30 Aug 2016 , 9:56pm by MBalaska

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 11:27am
post #241 of 313

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

My brain is getting full, It's quite simply not that large to begin with...

.......off to bed and some light reading.......the original constitutional congress discussions by the Federalist & Anti-Federalists will put me to sleep.

You're an interesting one.....not sure how those two comments compute!

It is very refreshing to see humility alive and well though, but it always seems to be those who don't need to be humble who are.....and then there those who have never heard of humility, they're the ones who DO need a great big slap with the humble stick.....but that's another thread entirely......

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 1:37pm
post #242 of 313

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

these roses were done on those picks also.........

gumpaste roses on SMBC

boy oh boy does it make it easy to stick into the cake.  Not that I'm very skilled at the placement - design stuff.  But good enough for government work.....

I know I'm not being very with it or professional here, but when I had to hang them upside down I just clipped them onto a rack with bulldog clips until they were dry.  You know me, I could've used duct tape I guess.  :grin:

They look lovely! Re. the placement, most times flowers look better in groups of odd numbers. So your 6 roses on this cake would have looked nicer in 2 groups of 3. This is not a hard and fast rule though, but without rulebreakers we would live in a not-so-fun world. I still think they're great though! (Oh, and I am a fan of precariously placed bulldog clips too...)

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 1:45pm
post #243 of 313

MB, you did a great job on your roses and leaves!  They really are pretty.  Next stop will be partially open roses and buds.  They will make any placement easier because they fill in little areas and give you diversity of shape.

I like your flower placement on your cake - it's different than what we usually see - creative!  :-)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 7:51pm
post #244 of 313

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniemog 

You're an interesting one.....not sure how those two comments compute!

It is very refreshing to see humility alive and well though, but it always seems to be those who don't need to be humble who are.....and then there those who have never heard of humility, they're the ones who DO need a great big slap with the humble stick.....but that's another thread entirely......

Your guys are a wealth of knowledge and experience,  and encouragement.

(@winniemog the explanation is easy!  There's a loose wire or a bad connection between my brain and my hands  lol.  Just because something is in my head doesn't mean that it can make the fingers re-create it.  Maybe my brain pipes that run to my digits is leaking and I should put some 'duct tape' on them.) :wink:

winniemog Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 8:04pm
post #245 of 313

ASo long as those pipes are leaking alcohol.....

MBalaska Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 12:01am
post #246 of 313
Quote:

So long as those pipes are leaking alcohol.....

@winniemog you're a jewel.....

MBalaska Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 12:13am
post #247 of 313

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayti 

Re. the placement, most times flowers look better in groups of odd numbers. So your 6 roses on this cake would have looked nicer in 2 groups of 3. This is not a hard and fast rule though, but without rulebreakers we would live in a not-so-fun world. I still think they're great though! (Oh, and I am a fan of precariously placed bulldog clips too...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWinslow 

Next stop will be partially open roses and buds.  They will make any placement easier because they fill in little areas and give you diversity of shape.

I like your flower placement on your cake - it's different than what we usually see - creative!  :-)

@Dayti  thanks for the suggestions.  It is like this with most of the decorating issues with me.  I can learn the mechanics of making the rose, but that artistic arranging part needs serious intervention by people with a good eye for flower arranging.  A friend who used to be a florist took a look at my Alan Dunn Sugar flowers book, and said that it was really nice.   It's hard to believe that those are sugar.

@JWinslow I see what you mean about the partially open roses & buds.  It eliminates the cookie cutter look.  It's less geometric.  Oh Oh  I know........I can just say that I'm a modern minimalist geometric artist.   HA problem solved.

winniemog Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 12:36am
post #248 of 313

A

Oh Oh  I know........I can just say that I'm a modern minimalist geometric artist.   HA problem solved.

You know that you can double your prices with that label.....

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 2:34am
post #249 of 313

I laughed at your loose connection comment.  I have made that comment my whole life concerning running.  My brain knows the concept of running and my feet know what to do but the connection between the feet and brain does not work properly and breaks down most of the time so it does not happen.

JWinslow Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 5:39am
post #250 of 313

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

@JWinslow I see what you mean about the partially open roses & buds.  It eliminates the cookie cutter look.  It's less geometric.  Oh Oh  I know........I can just say that I'm a modern minimalist geometric artist.   HA problem solved.

LOL - There you go you trend setter, you!!  "reflections of a rose"

MBalaska Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 6:31am
post #251 of 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

I laughed at your loose connection comment.  I have made that comment my whole life concerning running.  My brain knows the concept of running and my feet know what to do but the connection between the feet and brain does not work properly and breaks down most of the time so it does not happen.

Speaking of trend setting........Here's another trend that we could start, rose colored duct tape made into  running pants!!  I can see cazza1 now trying out for the Olympics with streamers of red and gold flying off her trainers.......zoom  zoom  zoom.  Who is it that has that adorable avatar of "how I see myself running, what I actually look like running."  I laugh every time that I see that one.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AnNP_pF0pHBwvLX2hUa2MB6bvZx4?p=duct+tape+pants&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-269&fp=1

cazza1 Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 9:30am
post #252 of 313

Unbelievable.  I just followed your link. ..................................and my kids reckon I'm wasting my time playing with icing.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 10:38am
post #253 of 313

A

Speaking of trend setting........Here's another [B]trend[/B] that we could start, rose colored duct tape made into  running pants!!  I can see cazza1 now trying out for the Olympics with streamers of red and gold flying off her trainers.......zoom  zoom  zoom.  Who is it that has that adorable avatar of "how I see myself running, what I actually look like running."  I laugh every time that I see that one.

[URL=https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AnNP_pF0pHBwvLX2hUa2MB6bvZx4?p=duct+tape+pants&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-269&fp=1]https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AnNP_pF0pHBwvLX2hUa2MB6bvZx4?p=duct+tape+pants&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-269&fp=1[/URL]

Good lord...there was a guy who lived down the street from me when I lived in New Orleans who would go running wearing one of those tinfoil suits designed to make you sweat a lot of water weight out. He found out the hard way that strenuous exercise while wearing a tinfoil suit in the summer heat of NOLA isn't a good idea. I remember people having to pour water on him when he passed out in the street. I imagine duct tape pants would have the same effect.

winniemog Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 12:45pm
post #254 of 313

AMaybe duct tape pants are just Spanx for people on a budget?

MBalaska Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 6:46pm
post #255 of 313

duct tape Spanx with Gorilla tape accents.  It's the height of fashion when playing with gumpaste and petal dusts.  No doubt I'd look so silly that someone will throw water on me if I were to try it!

MBalaska Posted 25 Oct 2014 , 2:37am
post #256 of 313

This is the darkest green petal dust that I bought.  I put a bit more of the plum petal dust on the edges than I did yesterday.  They were steamed and that actually darkened them a tiny touch, and really emphasized the little creases in the leaf. What would be the darkest green, or would it be easier to add black?

leaf

winniemog Posted 25 Oct 2014 , 2:49am
post #257 of 313

AThey're looking great, I really love highlighting the edges of the leaves the way you've done here. I checked my dusts, my darkest green is a moss green, but I usually combine it with the aubergine to darken it. I have two aubergine dusts...one is much darker and more intense than the other (it's by Caroline's sugar art in South Australia, I don't know if she re-brands it and it's available elsewhere under another name), the other is more of a straight purple and not so good for leaves.

Often building up layers of colour helps. I think your leaves are looking mighty fine now though.

I can't remember, have you glazed them? I use a half strength glaze on the leaves and that seems to intensify their colour too.

MBalaska Posted 25 Oct 2014 , 3:03am
post #258 of 313

Quote:

I can't remember, have you glazed them? I use a half strength glaze on the leaves and that seems to intensify their colour too.

not yet.  The other leaves I painted with half vodka/half corn syrup.  I'd have to mail order confectioners glaze and the glaze thinner.  I'd never use much of it, because I don't have a business so it may not be cost effective for me.   Unless if it can sit quietly on the shelf and not go bad in a blue moon or so.

but I'm glad that it will darken them up.

JWinslow Posted 25 Oct 2014 , 3:10am
post #259 of 313

Those leaves look great!!!!!

Glazing does deepen the color as winnimog stated.  I use it full strength.

I use multiple greens like fern, willow, pine.  a bit of yellow and kiko for my red highlights.  It varies depending on what I'm doing.

I also have a separate container where I dump all the extra green dust.  I have it marked MIX - my favorite of all the greens.

cazza1 Posted 25 Oct 2014 , 3:13am
post #260 of 313

Glaze does keep for yonks MB.  My bottle is about 3 years old.

MBalaska Posted 25 Oct 2014 , 3:27am
post #261 of 313

When I look at page #1 of this thread started on Sept. 07.......then look at these leaves today:

I can see that todays leaves look more like real leaves.    When I clicked onto page #1 and could see the original first attempt, and then the photo in the recent images in this thread on the right hand side of the same page to compare them.  The progress is evident.

And it's only taken two months, 18 pages of cc forum thread, and hundreds of post from people sharing their knowledge.  However this is as close to a classroom training program as I'll ever get. I'm grateful to you all!   Glad to hear that the glaze has a good long shelf life. I'll buy some.

I'd really truly deeply have to like someone to take my Galapagos turtle time to make them gumpaste sugar flowers for their cake.

:lol: 

winniemog Posted 25 Oct 2014 , 4:06am
post #262 of 313

A

Original message sent by cazza1

Glaze does keep for yonks MB.  My bottle is about 3 years old.

I think I bought my glaze at the same time as [@]cazza1[/@], it's still fine. If it does look like it's becoming poisonous, I've always got my mother in law to test in on.....not even my kids will eat sugar leaves (although they ate their way through a bucket of dodgy frangipanis when I was struggling with them!).....but if it's made of sugar and stands still long enough, my mother in law will dispose of it!

MBalaska Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 12:27am
post #263 of 313

This spray can of clear edible glaze looks pretty cool. However, This bottle must be the type of glaze that you guys are using. It sure would be easier and more consistent than my vodka/corn syrup mix.

http://www.sugardelites.com/Clear-Edible-Spray-Glaze-100-ML-PME_p_1669.html

http://www.sugardelites.com/Confectioners-Glaze_p_435.html

cazza1 Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 2:56am
post #264 of 313

As per your request MB, here are the 110 frangipanis and the topper.  They will be a good one for you to try soon.

Frangipanis

MBalaska Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 3:09am
post #265 of 313

@cazza1 

All I can say is........WOW Those are great! and so many of them.  That topper that you made looks so real that I thought that you had put a branch from a real tree there for me to see the comparison. Then I read your post again and realized that you had made them. Those leaves that you made just blow me away, the coloring on them is really nice.   I'm so glad that you shared them in this thread.

I recently bought the frangipani (plumeria) cutters so I'll give it a go one of these days. A photo like this is a great source of inspiration.  You're cake is going to be spectacular.

cazza1 Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 5:42am
post #266 of 313

MB I posted a picture of the cake in Friday night club.  It shows the topper much better.  The leaves are actually a bit too curly on the edges to look like real ones.  Real ones are actually quite flat and the ones in my garden have orangy brown veins but my attempts at adding them failed.  I did make a leaf veiner with silicone plastique from a real one but when I made them in icing the veins were not pronounced enough and I had to go back with a tool and accentuate them all.  It was a PITA.

winniemog Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 8:50am
post #267 of 313

A

This spray can of clear edible glaze looks pretty cool. However, This bottle must be the type of glaze that you guys are using. It sure would be easier and more consistent than my vodka/corn syrup mix.

[URL=http://www.sugardelites.com/Clear-Edible-Spray-Glaze-100-ML-PME_p_1669.html]http://www.sugardelites.com/Clear-Edible-Spray-Glaze-100-ML-PME_p_1669.html[/URL]

[URL=http://www.sugardelites.com/Confectioners-Glaze_p_435.html]http://www.sugardelites.com/Confectioners-Glaze_p_435.html[/URL]

Yes these are the right products. The bottle of glaze is great to paint with and you can use it at different strengths to give different levels of shine.

The glaze spray is brilliant if you have a lot to do, it's just quite expensive. Also I learned not to spray my leaves etc on a lovely wooden table where part of the wood was exposed. It now has a fairly unpleasant half-glazed appearance. It's quite ironic as it's the only present I've ever liked from my mother-in-law!

cazza1 Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 10:21am
post #268 of 313

I actually hate the glaze in a spray.  I found it went on really uneven when I used it, thinking to save time as I had a pile of stuff to do.  I'd rather take the time and hand paint the glaze on.

winniemog Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 10:55am
post #269 of 313

AI found the spray glaze went on fairly evenly if I did multiple light coats from a bit of a distance (which is probably why I also glazed my table). It might be like an airbrush and spatter if you get too close? Also, I had the leaves on a horizontal surface so the glaze would set and not pool at one end of the leaf.

Some of the PME cans of colour spray I used before i had an airbrush also spattered/gave uneven coverage - perhaps some cans are faulty?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 26 Oct 2014 , 12:31pm
post #270 of 313

At a class with Alan Dunn, I learnt to use the spray glaze outside:D I have the stuff you paint on as well (can confirm it lasts for years, reckon I bought it c. 5 years ago) - but I found that as I painted, some of the colour came off the leaves, so haven't tried it since to be honest. And it didn't dry as shiny as the PME spray does. Yeah, it's expensive though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%