Need Feedback Plz, 1St Gumpaste Leaves With Wires.

Lounge By MBalaska Updated 30 Aug 2016 , 9:56pm by MBalaska

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 8:21pm
post #121 of 313

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

@cazza1   [I]You're funny,[/I] glad I'm not the only one who doesn't dress up. But the stockings may be easier to deal with than those little paper bags.  I'll give it a try.

Let me clarify, I don't WEAR pantyhose, I BUY it for the kids to stuff with toilet paper when they are making a costume that needs a tail. I just nick a piece of their supply when I need a new one. It's so much easier than the purpose-made ones they sell!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 10:51pm
post #122 of 313

MB you are an inspiration to us all.  The leaps and bounds you are making in your icing work is amazing but your JOY  in doing is the best of all.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 12:28am
post #123 of 313

I still have those first pink roses & leaves on wires on my table.  I gave the cake away, so it's been long eaten gone gone gone.  The flowers I get to enjoy looking at every day as a keepsake.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 10:15am
post #124 of 313

A

Original message sent by cazza1

MB you are an inspiration to us all.  The leaps and bounds you are making in your icing work is amazing but your JOY  in doing is the best of all.

This is absoutely how I feel too! It's nice to see someone who's trying to learn by making an effort, not by wanting a shortcut or a quick fix. Which is why I sent @mbalaska a box of gumpaste fun ;)

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 1:32pm
post #125 of 313

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

Perfectly said!  MB, your JOY for learning is why I get so excited for you. :party:    You look to improve yourself with knowledge, trial & error and are unafraid of having your work critiqued in order to take it to the next level - I love that!

MBalaska Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 6:13pm
post #126 of 313

As Robert Heinlein wrote:

“I never do anything I don't want to do. Nor does anyone, but in my case I am always aware of it.”

“One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.”  

"TANSAFAAL"

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 9:29pm
post #127 of 313

AI love the fact that MB asked humbly for critique of her work and accepted all the feedback, the encouragement and constructive criticism, and then went away and PRACTISED until she improved. It was fantastic sharing in her excitement and seeing the dramatic improvement.

Such a difference from the people who come to the forum and demand a video tutorial of the precise item they need to make with exact quantities etc required and then disappear with no thanks or feedback.

I know who I'd rather help out....

MBalaska Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 11:08pm
post #128 of 313

Well today was try-to-make-a Poppy day.  Found out that you don't shove dark green wires that are thick in those poppy petals. Ha.  it only took me 7 of them before I decided to find a thinner white wire. Sharp as a marble.

They are drying now, so they'll probably all pop off.  Live & learn....

So here goes round two.

JWinslow Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 4:02am
post #129 of 313

I've been making poppies also.  I've made many kinds of flowers but somehow never tried the poppy. As I'm sure you found out, the poppy petals are very thin.  You really do need that thinner wire.  :)

MBalaska Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 6:48am
post #130 of 313

Looks are deceiving.  The poppy flower has always seemed like the simplest flower, just a few petals and a center.  Harumph  @JWinslow there must be good reason that you haven't made very many poppies.

I kind of love them because California poppies will occasionally grow in our yard. They are so bright and colorful that they stand out like a beacon in the muddy green here.

I made 2 centers on wires & put it in the foam to dry.  (Yes the florist foam and the straws work great.) Then had a terrible time trying to get those petals wired up.  I think that I'm going to need to so shopping again and buy more small wires, and keep them in the package so I can tell which size is which.  I had the few wires from the Wilton kit in one bundle and can't really tell them apart.  It makes a huge difference what size wire you use, I can see that now.

Maybe 28 or 30 for these petals - opinions?

the first mistake was using the dark green wires in the colored gumpaste.  They showed though. On the petal that I put the white paper wire in - nothing showed.  Then I carelessly knocked around the centers and some petals.  Popped the wires right out.  so had to put them back in and try to repair.   I ended up putting some patches on the back of the petal to try to hold the wire in.  I figured that no one would see the back anyway.

I'll give them a full day to dry and keep my grubby paws off of them.   I've seen beautiful poppies done with so many different kinds of centers.

• Lifelike beaded/pearl stamens and center,
  • threads cut and put on a center,
  • and gold or silver fantasy button style center.

I kind of like them all.   tomorrow will be fun.

MBalaska Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 6:55am
post #131 of 313

OMG @JWinslow !!! I just checked your website and your poppy blew-me-away ;-D;-D  The color is perfect.

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 8:41am
post #132 of 313

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

OMG @JWinslow !!! I just checked your website and your poppy blew-me-away ;-D;-D  The color is perfect.

Absolutely fabulous! Just "liked" you - amazing.

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 9:56am
post #133 of 313

ALove your cake and roses MBalaska, just simply elegant!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 11:47am
post #134 of 313

For drying petals that are slightly curved, get one of those pulp trays they use at the grocery store for apples and pears. They have a good curve to them and the gumpaste doesn't stick to them (unless you get it really wet), plus they come in a couple of different sizes so you can do smaller and large petals. I use them all the time...My son worked in the produce section of the grovery store for a while but he wouldn't bring any of them home to me, which made me bitter. I think I got mine from Walmart one day. I just asked them if I could have them and they gave me a few.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 11:51am
post #135 of 313

i have a question that maybe has already been covered so forgive me if i'm repeating something -- you state your wires popped out -- are these all paper covered wires? if they are then the only time i had wires come out was when i used too much glue and when i then learned to apply it as usual then give it a wipe it off so the wire is only just moistened -- if it's not a paper covered wire then there's almost no hope of getting it to stay in -- well there's nothing i know of to keep it attached --

if that is a factor for you --

-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 11:57am
post #136 of 313

i worked for someone who used plain slick uncovered green wires -- i guess 'tried to use' is what she did and that's what i thought of when you said the white paper covered ones worked and the green ones popped out -- so just wanted to make sure all yours are covered 

JWinslow Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 2:14pm
post #137 of 313

Thank you ladies!! 

MB, my poppy center was made on a 24g wire with a curved tweezers to get the pod look.  I know waiting for them to dry is the hard part but you HAVE to - lol
I drive myself nuts when I get impatient - never ends well. 
I used 30g wire for the petals.  Most of the petals I hung upside down and some I let dry in an apple tray (like costumezar posted).  The ones in the tray I put little pieces of paper towel here and there to get some exaggerated curves

My petals all started out white and I used a couple of shades of red dust, a touch of orange and than a very dark red (kiko) to highlight.  My favorite wires are Sunrise Wires (I get from Global Sugar Art) but the ones Sugar Delights sells are pretty nice too  - They are both paper covered.   I used 1/4 width floral tape.  

MBalaska Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 9:19pm
post #138 of 313

Quote:

Originally Posted by nannycook 

Love your cake and roses MBalaska, just simply elegant!

Thank You @nannycook.  It didn't seem possible, or probable, gumpaste changed things and upped my decorating a bit.

MBalaska Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 9:25pm
post #139 of 313

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

For drying petals that are slightly curved, get one of those pulp trays they use at the grocery store for apples and pears. They have a good curve to them and the gumpaste doesn't stick to them (unless you get it really wet), plus they come in a couple of different sizes so you can do smaller and large petals. I use them all the time...My son worked in the produce section of the grovery store for a while but he wouldn't bring any of them home to me, which made me bitter. I think I got mine from Walmart one day. I just asked them if I could have them and they gave me a few.

Thank You @costumeczar.

@DeliciousDesserts had also recommended that a few months ago.  I'd forgotten all about that, and of course had no use for it until this gumpaste experiment began.

MBalaska Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 9:31pm
post #140 of 313

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

i worked for someone who used plain slick uncovered green wires -- i guess 'tried to use' is what she did and that's what i thought of when you said the white paper covered ones worked and the green ones popped out -- so just wanted to make sure all yours are covered. 

@-K8memphis  It's the Wilton kit (wire & tape) they're covered in something, not bare wire. I've read that the paper covered ones are better than cloth covered ones, not that I know by experience myself.   

But I'm certain now that I put too much glue on the wires, and that weakened the bond with the gumpaste.    As I made 8 poppy petals and only could use 4 of them in the end.  Some of the wires popped out when they were dry.  Some wires stayed on but the petal slipped around like a merry-go-round.

MBalaska Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 9:45pm
post #141 of 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow 

Thank you ladies!! 

MB, my poppy center was made on a 24g wire with a curved tweezers to get the pod look.  I know waiting for them to dry is the hard part but you HAVE to - lol
I drive myself nuts when I get impatient - never ends well. 
I used 30g wire for the petals.  Most of the petals I hung upside down and some I let dry in an apple tray (like costumezar posted).  The ones in the tray I put little pieces of paper towel here and there to get some exaggerated curves

My petals all started out white and I used a couple of shades of red dust, a touch of orange and than a very dark red (kiko) to highlight.  My favorite wires are Sunrise Wires (I get from Global Sugar Art) but the ones Sugar Delights sells are pretty nice too  - They are both paper covered.   I used 1/4 width floral tape.  

Thank You @JWinslow.......for being an inspiration in making amazing flowers!!

here's my result for the poppy:

poppy gumpaste first attempt

• Used a mold for the center - will wire it better next time and let dry completely before handling.
  • Stamens..arggghhhh.  they are too small I think, and what a pain.  I couldn't get them spread evenly.  This was actually the hardest part of the whole shebang.
  • Petals too thick, heavy.  Also realized today that I had put some of them wrong side (vein side) up  doh. 
  • I need to get the wire bent closer to the actual petal, to get them closer to the stem. I was afraid I'd break the petal, but proper wire size and good insertion would probably minimize that risk.
  • Adding petal dust would add some dimension to it, not being an artist I'll be slower with that part of it.  
MBalaska Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 10:11pm
post #142 of 313

here's a better photo to see the errors more clearly.

gumpaste poppy photo 2

-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 10:23pm
post #143 of 313

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

i worked for someone who used plain slick uncovered green wires -- i guess 'tried to use' is what she did and that's what i thought of when you said the white paper covered ones worked and the green ones popped out -- so just wanted to make sure all yours are covered. 

@-K8memphis  It's the Wilton kit (wire & tape) they're covered in something, not bare wire. I've read that the paper covered ones are better than cloth covered ones, not that I know by experience myself.   

But I'm certain now that I put too much glue on the wires, and that weakened the bond with the gumpaste.    As I made 8 poppy petals and only could use 4 of them in the end.  Some of the wires popped out when they were dry.  Some wires stayed on but the petal slipped around like a merry-go-round.

sounds like the glue dissolved the covering -- yes too much of it keeps the gum paste gooey in there --scott clark woolley applies the glue then wipes it off on the palm/edge of his hand -- some people use a paper towel -- just to wipe once of course not to blot dry -- makes all the difference in the world --

this should make your life easier

-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 10:24pm
post #144 of 313

Quote:

gumpaste poppy photo 2

don't say errors, mb -- it's beautiful

MBalaska Posted 27 Sep 2014 , 10:58pm
post #145 of 313

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis  don't say errors, mb -- it's beautiful

Ok @-K8memphis I'll amend that to "areas that require attention & may be done in a different manner."  and Thank You.

How did you find the placement of the 3 leaves on the baby roses, in place of calyxes? I thought that it would frame the flower a bit more for cupcakes.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 12:12am
post #146 of 313

it does absolutely frame the roses very nicely -- if i was doing a 360 view rolled out rose i might do calyxes as well --

however i would be piping the rose on a cupcake too -- on a cupcake i want all edible -- while gum paste is edible i wouldn't use it on a cupcake -- maybe super stiff flavored fondant -- and i would run the leaves right up the side of the rose where they are visible above the top giving a nod to a calyx -- and i would do leaves exactly as you placed yours maybe run a coupla tendrils -- even though roses don't have tendrils of course -- 

i love the look of the cupcakes and i especially love the poppy -- sentimental favorite

MBalaska Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 12:32am
post #147 of 313

Then the roses would be better placed on a cake, and removable.  I'll have to bake something this week.

I put those other roses on the blue plaque so that they could easily be lifted off and removed. Even though there were no wires, and the toothpick had been removed.  Yes I do see your point, and I see the difference with your explanation. Cupcakes are better being all edible. You're an encyclopedia, knowledge and experience.

Funny that My husband cleared out his whole garden in the time it took me to put together that one little poppy. 

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 12:47am
post #148 of 313

you're just getting down the basics -- flowers will get much faster -- think about rolling out an 18" circle of dough and cutting out dozens of petals at once -- keep it covered with plastic wrap (press & seal is nice) and just whip out one petal at a time, and away you go -- no different than making rolled out cookies once you get the basics down yes?

JWinslow Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 1:29am
post #149 of 313
Quote:

gumpaste poppy photo 2

Wow - what a really nice first poppy!!!!

Quote:

• Used a mold for the center - will wire it better next time and let dry completely before handling.
  • Stamens..arggghhhh.  they are too small I think, and what a pain.  I couldn't get them spread evenly.  This was actually the hardest part of the whole shebang.
  • Petals too thick, heavy.  Also realized today that I had put some of them wrong side (vein side) up  doh. 
  • I need to get the wire bent closer to the actual petal, to get them closer to the stem. I was afraid I'd break the petal, but proper wire size and good insertion would probably minimize that risk.
  • Adding petal dust would add some dimension to it, not being an artist I'll be slower with that part of it.  

• I have never used the mold centers so I am unfamiliar with them.
  • Stamens - for this flower, arggghhh is exactly right!  lol   I have a hard time taping and wrapping them around the center so I taped a bundle together really tight, spread the stamens out and thread the center through the middle - Tape again from top to bottom.   Probably not the right way to do it but somewhat easier.  Try and use more stamens with your next attempt.  Dust the bottom edge of the petal with black dust.  It will make them look fuller.
  • You will get there with the thin petals.  We've all veined the wrong side from time to time. No biggie. 
  • To get the petal the close to the center,  take your petal and carefully bend the wire down at a 90 degree angle. You can always bend them back.
  • Your petal placement is good.  Poppies have 4-6 petals so you can play with that.  Mine had 4.
  • And for the record - I find roses easier - LOL

I hope you are enjoying the flower world.  I find there is much personal satisfaction it.  I love watching you progress - very cool!

JWinslow Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 1:37am
post #150 of 313

MB,  I forgot to add.  The petals curve inward.  Give that a try if you are still doing them.  :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%