How Do I Make These Gold Dots?

Decorating By sweetobsesions Updated 13 Sep 2014 , 9:55pm by sweetobsesions

sweetobsesions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetobsesions Posted 7 Sep 2014 , 8:06am
post #1 of 18

AHello everyone, I am going to be helping a friend make this cake & we aren't sure how to do the gold dots on top of the fondant. We don't have an airbrush so we will probably buy gold spray paint at Michael's or something but we just aren't sure how to do it.

Thanks! [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3283128/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

17 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 7 Sep 2014 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 18

AThey are piped on with piping bag. I would use royal icing. For me that would be the fastest way

sweetobsesions Posted 7 Sep 2014 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 18

A[@]morganchampagne[/@] yeah that's what I was thinking but how would we make the royal icing gold?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Sep 2014 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 18

Does it *HAVE* to be Gold?  Make a nice yellow.   You might be able to find some gold dragees  still hanging around.  (Most states have outlawed the sale of them & the silver ones.)

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 8 Sep 2014 , 12:44am
post #5 of 18

AI think that you could possibly paint them gold with a SUPER FINE paint brush and by mixing some gold luster dust with alcohol. Otherwise you could use the dragees mentioned above but for me I would just pipe and maybe use the Americolor gold color for the icing.

SweetCarolines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 8 Sep 2014 , 3:20am
post #7 of 18

Pipe in a "gold" toned royal icing, then use a fine brush to dab a bit of gold luster dust mixed with rose spirit, or vodka, on each dot.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 8 Sep 2014 , 7:32am
post #8 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by kakeladi 

Does it *HAVE* to be Gold?  Make a nice yellow.   You might be able to find some gold dragees  still hanging around.  (Most states have outlawed the sale of them & the silver ones.)

How come they have been outlawed in many states?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetobsesions Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 11:19am
post #10 of 18

ABig thank you to all of you. I will see what I can find, I live in CA so I don't think I can get the dragees. I have thought about the sugar pearls I just have to find gold ones that are small enough & I don't have many options around here. So thanks again everyone!

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 18

Anyone who has ever tried to bite a dragee or swallowed it or thrown it at their brother (I'm 3 for 3 here!) would be happy if they had been outlawed years ago! Or maybe that's why they were in our cabinet growing up but my mother never used them!  I've seen those Wilton dots in Michael's and they look nice! But you might think them a little big - bigger than a piped dot!

Good luck!

T

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Sep 2014 , 7:55pm
post #12 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by theresaf 

Anyone who has ever tried to bite a dragee or swallowed it or thrown it at their brother (I'm 3 for 3 here!) 

:lol: 

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 10 Sep 2014 , 12:39am
post #13 of 18

ASo I just saw this interesting site on Pinterest that might interest you too. It's a little experiment by Amber on using different liquids, water, 151 rum, vanilla etc to get the best gold. Water was her winner but take a look! http://pinterest.com/pin/176555247867455854/ Theresa

sweetobsesions Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 10:00am
post #14 of 18

A[@]theresaf[/@] wow very interesting & helpful thank you so much!!

peachcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachcake Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 12:06pm
post #15 of 18

I have used airbrush gold and a small brush to paint over fondant and crusted over butter creme. You could do that with the small dots and a steady hand.Works great! Good luck!

sweetobsesions Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 6:57pm
post #16 of 18

A[@]peachcake[/@] okay thanks!

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 9:25pm
post #17 of 18

ACan you import them from the uk? I ran downstairs and frantically hunted for the 'non-toxic, for decorating purposes only' notice after just producing a wedding fayre dummy with them on...but no such sign *phew*! Just a list of ingredients including lots of e-numbers....

sweetobsesions Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 9:55pm
post #18 of 18

AHahah I probably could but honestly my friend is supposed to be making the cake so I'm making her buy everything and she doesn't care that much about it. But I think we are going to try spray painting white sugar pearls & hope it works![@]Snowflakebunny23[/@]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%