How Long Will It Keep...

Decorating By baking novice Updated 6 Sep 2014 , 9:08pm by winniemog

baking novice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baking novice Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 5:00am
post #1 of 4

AHi there, I have agreed to make a cake for a friend's daughters birthday but due to logistics I need to make it 48 hrs before it will be eaten. It will be a carrot cake layer and a chocolate mudcake layer all covered in ganache then fondant. Do you think it will still be ok when it's eaten? Is there anything I can do to help it stay fresh? Thanks in advance for any help

3 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 7:10am
post #2 of 4

AThe choc mud cake, ganache and fondant will be fine. I don't know your carrot cake recipe, but they're usually quite good cakes as they're oil-based and last longer. Depends what you fill the cakes with, that's all!

baking novice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baking novice Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 8:21am
post #3 of 4

AThanks so much for the reply. I was not planning to use a cream based filling because I don't think that will keep. Do you have any suggestions?

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 4

AI usually use different flavours of SMBC as fillings, or more ganache for mud cakes when I need them to be super stable for topsy turvy or carving. You could use anything for the filling in the choc cake, I've used salted caramel a lot lately, it's very popular at the moment. For the carrot cake I would use something neutral like vanilla SMBC, or maybe cinnamon flavoured. Just not cream or cream cheese!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%