What Is Used To Prop Up American Flag On This Cake?

Decorating By sundaerose Updated 26 Sep 2014 , 3:37pm by sundaerose

sundaerose Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 2:21am
post #1 of 23

I would like suggestions of what I can use to prop up this flag on cake. Thanks in Advance.  

22 replies
FlourPots Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 3:11am
post #2 of 23

Cake?

Maybe the main cake was a bit larger and they took some off the end, cut it up and formed the corner ledge for the flag...

OR

just baked extra cake, of course, for it...

maybenot Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 5:35am
post #3 of 23

I'd do it by cutting an 8"x2" in half diagonally and stacking them.

sundaerose Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 10:17am
post #4 of 23

AShe does not want extra cake. I was think RKT or some type of foam...not sure.

Dayti Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 23

AI think its just fondant that has been ruched a bit and it's holding itself up.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 23

i just think it is odd that the client even made a suggestion as to how not to make it -- all i can think of is that maybe she equates more cake with higher price -- when you can slide it under upcharge for decor -- idk -- there's a flag on the play -- no? flag like the football referee throws a rule violation flag not the flag on the cake -- omg -- i should go back to bed huh

cakeyouverymuch Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayti 

I think its just fondant that has been ruched a bit and it's holding itself up.

Agreed.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 23

it could be all fondant if it was real thick and it was a real small cake where the striped fondant helped hold up the blue maybe -- i think on a larger cake it would relax too much and squish down where you don't want it to squish down -- that would be my concern doing all fondant unless you stiffened the whaley out of it with cornstarch -- idk -- it could be but i'd rather use something under there for insurance -- one thing for sure -- 

it's a beautiful cake

-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 3:03pm
post #9 of 23

and not just insurance, my cost -- i'd rather drape it over cake than blow all that fondant -- you could cover a few 6" cakes with all that -- do you think?

remnant3333 Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 23

I am curious. If it was half of a square cake and stacked, wouldn't you have to put dowels under bottom cake to hold it up like you do for tiered cakes? I could easily see that you could make the flag with the half of a square cake on the corner like that. 

Be sure and post a picture when you finish the cake and let us know how you decide to do it. Good luck! I am sure it will turn out great!!!

-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 3:14pm
post #11 of 23

remnant -- no dowel because it appears to be on a one layer cake -- even if it was a 4" tall cake the additional flag height would be maybe another 2" at it's peak and no need for dowel -- even if it popped to 7" it'd be fine...probably ;) just depends on how heavy the fondant is -- might need a bit of something -- but easier to keep it closer to 6" --

and i've stared at this cake long enough to finally wonder what is the booboo under reason for the star that was placed on top of the red stripe on the side there in front -- 

gscout73 Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 8:44pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 
and i've stared at this cake long enough to finally wonder what is the booboo under reason for the star that was placed on top of the red stripe on the side there in front -- 

I noticed the same thing right off the bat. Someone did not want to let one star go to waste. And the blue field is larger than the stripes. I do see that the blue field is higher than the rest of the flag/base cake, so it appears to me there is a triangle of cake or rkt under it.

maybenot Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 9:57pm
post #13 of 23

There are worse things than extra cake..........like paying nearly the same amount of $ and only having a styrofoam block or rice krispie treats to show for it..........

I charge 80% the cost of real cake for styro and RKTs.

It's too easy to remove that little flag cake and freeze it.......

JanetBme Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 8:12am
post #14 of 23

You could just put a pile of icing.  It looks to me like it might be just one single 1 inch layer triangle of cake under there.  If it was just a simple 1 inch there would be no need for dowels because the fondant would dry and the drape would cover any weight cracks if there were any.  If you go any taller, you need another baord and dowels.  I know you said the person doesn't want more cake- but do you really want them to have to remove a piece of styro or cut thru a piece of rk treat..  I'd do at least a layer of cake (8 inch square cut diagnally.)  or you could even let your 9x13 crown, and cut the crown off and use it under the blue.   Raising the blue makes the drape look more dimensional and steps it up from "sheet cake" with a flag...

sundaerose Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 9:49pm
post #15 of 23

Thanks much!  I used the 8 inch cake on top and it work perfectly.  Thanks for the suggestion!

sundaerose Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 9:50pm
post #16 of 23

The cake came out great! I used an 8 inch cake and cut in from corner to corner.  It work perfectly!!This is a 2 tier cake, bottom tier has 4-layers and top tier is 2 layers triangle shaped.  The flag is edible airbrush fondant draped over butter-vanilla cakes.

This is a 2 tier cake, bottom tier has 4-layers and top tier is 2 layers triangle shaped.  The flag is edible airbrush fondant draped over butter-vanilla cakes.

maybenot Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 9:55pm
post #17 of 23

Just beautiful !  That extra "bump" adds so much dimension and visual interest.

Congrats!

sundaerose Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 12:12am
post #18 of 23

Thanks!

JanetBme Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 2:53am
post #19 of 23

It turned out Gorgeous!

docofthedead Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 11:10am
post #20 of 23

AI just saw this on the front page this morning and fell in love with it. No offencce to the original baker, biut I like yours better because of the shapse you went with. :USA:

sundaerose Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 12:02pm
post #21 of 23

Thank you!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 2:06pm
post #22 of 23

my husband went crazy for this cake -- and it's so well done

sundaerose Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 3:37pm
post #23 of 23

LOL...thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%