Rosette Cake Help!!

Decorating By easyaspie Updated 7 Sep 2014 , 12:04am by easyaspie

easyaspie Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 9

AHey everyone! I'm making my second rosette cake tomorrow. It's a 9inch rounch cake with 3 layers. I made white chocolate buttercream as the icing. The first time I made a rosette cake was a few days go for practice and it was chocolate buttercream. I did it room temperature but I didn't crumb coat. Roses fell did before I was even finished doing them all. This time I'm definitely going to crumb coat. It's for tomorrow at 5 pm, it's 7:38 here. The cakes are completely cooled now. Do I fill then crumb coat them do the rosettes then put it the fridge or a very cool room until it gets picked up? And how soon before should i do it. Another cake I am making is being picked up at 12 noon so I have 5 hours to perfect this cake. I can do perfect rosettes just have read lots of stories of them falling off!! And it happened to me too the first time! My white chocolate buttercream is a stiff consistency and crusts. Recipe: Stick of butter Stick of crisco 1 small bag of powdered sugar. ( about 5 cups. 1 tbsp vanilla 1 bag melted white chocolate chips mixed in at very end with a half a cup of the powdered sugar. It's delicious. Want this cake to look as good as it will taste! Hersheys Chocolate cake and where chocolate buttercream. Oh and I'm using wilton 1m tip. I also have 2D. What do you prefer

8 replies
easyaspie Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 9

A

Original message sent by easyaspie

Hey everyone! I'm making my second rosette cake tomorrow. It's a 9inch rounch cake with 3 layers. I made white chocolate buttercream as the icing. The first time I made a rosette cake was a few days go for practice and it was chocolate buttercream. I did it room temperature but I didn't crumb coat. Roses fell did before I was even finished doing them all. This time I'm definitely going to crumb coat. It's for tomorrow at 5 pm, it's 7:38 here. The cakes are completely cooled now. Do I fill then crumb coat them do the rosettes then put it the fridge or a very cool room until it gets picked up? And how soon before should i do it. Another cake I am making is being picked up at 12 noon so I have 5 hours to perfect this cake. I can do perfect rosettes just have read lots of stories of them falling off!! And it happened to me too the first time! My white chocolate buttercream is a stiff consistency and crusts. Recipe: Stick of butter Stick of crisco 1 small bag of powdered sugar. ( about 5 cups. 1 tbsp vanilla 1 bag melted white chocolate chips mixed in at very end with a half a cup of the powdered sugar. It's delicious. Want this cake to look as good as it will taste! Hersheys Chocolate cake and where chocolate buttercream. Oh and I'm using wilton 1m tip. I also have 2D. What do you prefer

canacake Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 1:05am
post #3 of 9

AI use a non crusting buttercream, that way u don't have to worry about the rosettes not sticking, I use smbc. Do the crumbcoat like you planned and then the rosettes and pop it in the fridge over night. The really important part is to make sure that your rosettes get good contact with the crumb coat layer. I hold the tip pretty close and really get a good connection with the underlying buttercream. Start at the bottom of the cake and work upwards. I drove a 1 tier rosette cake from Guelph Ontario to Ottawa Ontario, it was a smbc frosting, so it gets soft when warm. That drive was terrible, so much traffic, it took 6.5 hours, or ac was on high the whole way. My cake was perfect when I got there.

vldutoit Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 2:27am
post #4 of 9

I use crusting buttercream and I do put that tip into the crumb coat for the first rotation.  I like the 2d tip vs the 1m.  Let your crumb coat crust and then do as the above poster says and start at the bottom and work your way to the top. Make sure that your buttercream isn't too dry.  Hope it all works out well.

easyaspie Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 2:48am
post #5 of 9

AThank you two! I will post pictures when done! Going to do tomorrow morning so it's fresh. I am so excited for this cake lol. They are so pretty. It's for a guy who's surprising his wife for her birthday! I think it's awesome lol. So if I let the crumb coat harden before doing the rosettes, they won't just slide right off?

denetteb Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 3:23am
post #6 of 9

You don't need a stiff icing for rosettes, that may have been part of the reason they fell.  And no need to let the crumb coat crust.   The crumb coat is helpful to hide the cake below for any gaps between the rosettes.  Another thing to fill in any gaps is to make comma shaped lines, it disguises them more that stars with the tip.  Whip on a crumb coat, swirl the rosettes, bim, bam, done.  I prefer 2D to 1M.  I think the finished look is about the same but I think the 2D uses a little less icing than the 1M.

easyaspie Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 9

AHere it is!! Costumer loved it. I am pleased with the turn out. The top is a really light pink, though it looks kinda white in the picture. I used 1M tip, crumb costed it, piped the rosettes on, then put it in my really cold living room in a box. It held up perfect. And I thought that would be an easier temperature adjustment for the cake, as a fridge was obviously colder. [IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3283049/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3283050/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3283051/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

vldutoit Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 9

AGreat job

easyaspie Posted 7 Sep 2014 , 12:04am
post #9 of 9

AThank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%