Cake Circle Cake Dummie.

Decorating By lmvanzee Updated 11 Sep 2014 , 1:40am by lmvanzee

lmvanzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmvanzee Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 5

AOk. I'm in a pinch and I have to use stacked cake boards for a cake dummie. Should I cover them with something under the fondant? Frosting? Foil? Felt(to cushion the edge). I am worried that the fondant with just breat away at the top edge.

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 5

AI've never done this but here's my thoughts on the subject -- I'd smoosh with my fingertips or cut the top edge of the board to soften it-- to help avoid the cracking off--

would take a small stack as a test and cover it with a thin coating of crusting abc to see if that would work -- and I'd want to employ some plastic wrap, cling film in there possibly if the ABC didn't work but I think it will -- not thin abc a thin coating -- or cold meringue icing would do it too -- I'd be prepared to apply two thin coats of fondant if necessary to get it smooth --

you could also make a skinny snake of fondant and wrap it around the top edge to help minimize cracking -- this after you smooth that top edge -- might pull off when you apply the fondant so don't pull on it --

just some brain storm thoughts -- best to you -- hope your first attempt works like a charm

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 5

Sorry, but I don't think that anything will make you happy with the results.

You have both Michaels & Joanns in Des Moines--2 of each store.  Joanns carries cake dummies--I think up to 12".  Both stores have floral foam sheets--you can cut out shapes from those. 

lmvanzee Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 1:21am
post #4 of 5

Well I used the stacked cake boards.  actually they were pizza boards for $.10 a piece.  I taped a bunch of them together and wrapped them in plastic wrap.   I used really thick fondant.  It turned out pretty nice.

lmvanzee Posted 11 Sep 2014 , 1:39am
post #5 of 5

A[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3284163/width/200/height/400[/IMG] The bottom tier of the cake was the dummie. My constraint was time. I was decorating this cake in the middle of the night and had to deliver it by 11:30 in the morning. I couldn't get to Joanne in te and michaels was out, and not open either when I needed it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%