What Mixer Should I Buy

Decorating By twstdlogik Updated 5 Sep 2014 , 3:12am by Apti

twstdlogik Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 3:58am
post #1 of 12

AI'm in the market for a high quality stand mixer. I've but out the motors on 4 hand mixers and a stand mixer I but at bed bath and beyon, not sure what brand but it wasn't a kitchenaid. I bake about once a week and do aboutv3-4 dozen cookies/cupcakes, one cake a month and at least 2 loaves of bead. I'm not sure what brand or capacity I should be looking for as I just started baking heavily. Please help, any suggestions on products are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

11 replies
twstdlogik Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 4:00am
post #2 of 12

AI also have been requested to do the deserts for two weddings next year, each with about 100-200 guests

cheryl848 Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 12

i have had my kitchenaid for over 40 years.

some of the newer ones have plastic gears so read the specs before you buy.  kitchenaid can be expensive, but well worth the investment.

sine i am now baking in larger quantities than my 5 qt, mixer is comfortable handling, i am thinking of going up to a larger one, again i will read the specs on the models that interest me.

twstdlogik Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 12

AThank you Cheryl

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 12

AI think you would be happy with a five or six quart kitchen aid with that amount of baking -- like Cheryl I too had one for 40 years and just recently traded it in -- 'cause it was broken -- to get a newer refurbished model -- rather than refurbish my vintage one -- the ka people said the life expectancy was 15 - 20 years -- who knew?

and especially since it's approaching holiday time -- you will probably be able to get a good deal at any of the big box stores-- if you watch QVC for the ka show -- they will surely have a great deal that you can make payments on --

Happy mixer buying to you!

Singerssoul Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 12

About 3 months ago I purchased a refurnished Professional 5.5 QT Commercial Stand Mixer from Kitchen Aid directly.  The cost of the unit was $235 because I located a coupon that gave me 10% off and free shipping. I had them ship it 2 day express for nothing!   It has a limited warranty but I applied the aftermarket warranty that ran me another $75 for complete replacement for three years.  It is not a tilt head, it is  lever lift instead.  Works like a dream, although I have not done bread with it. 

twstdlogik Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 12

AMy amazing boyfriend has offered to get me whatever mixer I choose regardless of price. He says it's really just a present for him as I mainly bake for him and his rig hands. I was thinking the kitchenaid professional 600, 6qt bowl lift mixer, but there are concerns about plastic housing or gears, as this was the only issue in all the reviews I read. But other reviews have said that the p last housing and gears will be replaced at no cost if the mixer purchased has plastic parts. Is this true spend hundreds of dollars on something if it's not the best quality. I was also looking into viking mixers. Do any of you know if viking mixers are as good or better than kitchenaid?

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 12

i bought a 6 qt ka some years ago -- idk 10 yrs maybe -- it broke rather quickly -- they just flat replaced it -- they sent the replacement mixer and i boxed up the broken one in that packaging and shipped it back to them -- who does that? and i am remembering more details -- i bought it new on ebay so i figured the warranty was kaput but no they honored it -- so cool!

i have always been impressed with them as a company -- previous to that on the ancient 5 qt i had-- the white coating on the paddle cracked and they replaced it for free  --

so there's that too -- 

i love mixers -- 

Natka81 Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 12

Ok, I have 3 mixers  and use them for different jobs.

kitchenaid 600 professional, (I don`t know about plastic gear), I find it very comfortable to mix large batches and when you need to mix a lot of stuff in batter.

Kitchen aid artisan 5 qt., is convenient for small batches like 1 cake batch or filling/icing for  for 1 cake.

Waring 7qt. mixer 1.the shield really, protects stuff in the bowl

2. whips heavy cream faster then Kitchen aid

3. The bowl is tall and narrow and its a little inconvenient to add stuff to batter, (I                                               mostly use this mixer to whip sponge cakes batter and meringue ( I make a                                          lot of meringue cookies and layers).

4. It is 7 qt. but fits like 6 qt. because the whip is dipper in the bowl and doesn`t stick                                      out above bowl.

5. fits 16 eggs, 4 cups of sugar and 4 cups of flour.( for sponge cakes)

I was able to mix 3 batches of batter which makes 330 of this "walnuts" cookies.

Webstaurantstore.com is good source for mixers.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 11:02pm
post #10 of 12

and yes very amazing boyfriend -- how sweet!

if you get the ka -- check out all the different colors -- i really like the black caviar -- it has little sprinkles in it -- but they have so many great colors now --

but as far as 'the best' idk -- i get lost in that maze -- but yes viking and waring and ka -- are good mixers and you can look up online for reviews too -- 

twstdlogik Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 1:08am
post #11 of 12

AThank you all for helping me! I got a bit more research to do but I'll post some pics of the fruits of my new mixer

Apti Posted 5 Sep 2014 , 3:09am
post #12 of 12

4 yr hobby baker chiming in (do not sell anything).  I purchased a barely used 5 qt, tilt head, red, artisan KA off craigslist for $150 four years ago. 

Last year I was able to do some wheeling and dealing on Black Friday at Kohl's with price matching, deals, and a lot of mail-in rebate details for an astounding $130 including tax.  Granted, that is an exceptional price, but the best time of year if you can wait is Black Friday or on Thanksgiving, depending. 

I thought I would never use two mixers.  WRONG!  I love both of them, but was very surprised to find that the bowl lift, 6 quart, 600 Pro is my favorite!   I recommend the bowl lift, 6 qt. unreservedly. 

Two items to consider.  Make sure your cabinets have sufficient clearance to handle the height of the KA Professional 600.  You will need a minimum of 17" of clearance UNDER any overhead cabinets. 

Also, you will see pricing all over the map on KA's.  Only the, shall we say....under-informed (sounds waaay better than stupid)..... will ever pay the retail price of $449.  That is NOT a real price.  At sales all year long anyone should be able to find a KA Professional 600 for prices ranging from $250 (including manufacturer's rebate and sometimes with "free" attachment offers) to $350 (incl. rebate etc.)

You should also purchase a KA Flex Blade for the 600.  It is a FABULOUS tool. 

Quite often the best available deal is to play the Kohl's game of price matching a sale price somewhere else, then using a newly acquired Kohl's credit card or coupon for 30% MORE off the price-match price.  (It's a fun game if you are up to it!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%