Decorating By Kelly M Updated 3 Sep 2014 , 1:48am by -K8memphis

Kelly M Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 5

This question is for any baker that makes their own fondant.  I have a Kitchenaid 600 professional and it just isn't doing the job.  I've already had to replace the unit once and I think it might have everything to do with the load of making fondant.  What brand of mixer do people recommend?

4 replies
MBalaska Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 5

Gosh I have on of those that's about 15 years old, no it's older than that 'cause my cars 15 years old and I've had the mixer longer.

Perhaps just mix it until it just starts to get stiff, and then hand knead the dough, or splurge & buy an 8 quart mixer.

vldutoit Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 5

AI have the same mixer and it is 20 yrs old. The newer ones have plastic gears as opposed to metal ones. Try mixing 2\3 of the powdered sugar in the mixer and kneading the last third by hand.

costumeczar Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 12:20am
post #4 of 5

I took the housing off, and the gears are actually metal, not plastic, but I think there's just a limit to what household mixers can be expected to handle! I make fondant by hand, never in the mixer, because I tend to kill my mixers on a regular basis anyway and I figure that isn't going to help.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 1:47am
post #5 of 5

Amy Ka's -- a 5 & a 6 -- their manuals said they could handle two batches of bread in a row that incorporated 8 cups of flour each, max -- after that you were supposed to let it rest -- so I never tried to make fondant in a machine till I got the 10-12 qt --

Quote by @%username% on %date%