Poured Fondant Experiment Fail!

Decorating By LizKatherine Updated 2 Sep 2014 , 3:33pm by LizKatherine

LizKatherine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizKatherine Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 4:49am
post #1 of 4

Okay, here is a hilarious / major fail story of my poured fondant experiment! So I had previous been searching for an easier way to cover cakes with fondant/get the fondant smoother. I researched about poured fondant and the various recipes.  So I had this "brilliant" (lol) idea to melt normal fondant and get it to pourable consistency. Oh my gosh, I wish i took pictures of this. First off, I mix MMF with wilton. I nuked that... and nuked it... and nuked it... 10 minutes later, the "fondant" was basically bubbling up and was a marshmallowy consistency. I thought to myself, this was a bad idea. Nevertheless, I am not one to give up! so I put my cake over a cooling rack and over a bowl, and poured. Well, not only did it melt my crumb coat, but it was just lumpy and sticky and one big mess. I am still laughing over it!

In any event, I scratched that idea and started over. Added powered sugar to the melted fondant, and the end result is the picture below. I was able to achieve this beautiful baby teal color (the lighting makes it look a little blue). I decided to marbleize the top tier, but now I wish I had marbleized all tiers! Hey, I learned something: no short cuts when it comes to fondant!  

first time doing string lace... think it needs to be thinner

3 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 5:19am
post #2 of 4

AI love the marbelized look of the top tier! Glad you were able to save it, beautiful cake.

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 6:26am
post #3 of 4

your edges are sharp! kudos to you for trying something new....too many people in this hobby/industry always want a tutorial in order to try something new! Thanks for sharing!

LizKatherine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizKatherine Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks all! I thought it could help others out there who wanted pourable fondant. At least we know this method doesn't work, lol.

I've read you can also add white chocolate to powdered sugar when making "pourable" fondant, but i would hardly call this fondant. Its a glaze. The white chocolate would give it a more rich look and texture. I don't think I would use this on cakes either. I like the matte finish of rolled fondant, the pliability, etc. Seems more forgiving than poured. Think I'll stick to this for now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%