Beveled Cross Cake Serving Size

Decorating By Fahrenheit Updated 1 Sep 2014 , 8:02pm by Dayti

Fahrenheit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fahrenheit Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 4

AI need to make a beveled cross cake large enough to feed 40 people. Based on research I've done on CC, seems like 2 9X13 cakes can feed at least 40 guests. But since my cake will be beveled, will the portions then be less than 40 or will it still feed 40ppl? Is it better to the use 2 11X15 pans?

3 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 4

If you use the Wilton serving charts, you would get 50 servings from a 9x13 4" high cake, the same as a 10" square 4" high cake. So if make your cross from either of those shapes and you cut a little away to get the bevelled edges, I reckon you would still have 40 portions left.

Remember to charge them for 50, so you are covering the cost of the extra cake needed and your time for the carving and extra pain in the neck frosting/fondanting.

Fahrenheit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fahrenheit Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 4

AT

Original message sent by Dayti

If you use the Wilton serving charts, you would get 50 servings from a 9x13 4" high cake, the same as a 10" square 4" high cake. So if make your cross from either of those shapes and you cut a little away to get the bevelled edges, I reckon you would still have 40 portions left. Remember to charge them for 50, so you are covering the cost of the extra cake needed and your time for the carving and extra pain in the neck frosting/fondanting.

Thanks. The wilton chart listed 36 for party size and 50 for wedding size. I was going by the party size since the cake is not for a wedding. Plus the client said she wanted a big cake. I'm still wondering if a 13-inch cross is considered big.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 4

Oh ok, I sell all of my fondant cakes using wedding size portions (actually I use Earlene's chart which gives less portions than Wiltons chart - she says a 10" square yields 40 portions, Wilton says 50). If you use the Wilton party portions yes, you would have to start with about a 13" square or 11x15 sheet, depending on how you will be constructing the cross. I would just ask the customer how big is "big" for her, and charge accordingly, depending on the portions in the original bake before you start bevelling, not for the portions she ends up with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%