3D Standing Bottle Cake

Decorating By lillyanne Updated 15 Sep 2014 , 8:26am by JanetBme

lillyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillyanne Posted 31 Aug 2014 , 11:31am
post #1 of 5

hi guys. I want to make a Smirnoff vodka bottle cake for a friend but instead of having it laying down on the board i was thinking of trying to do it standing up (3D). Was thinking of using small tins and stacking the small cakes on top of each other or cutting circles out of a square cake and stacking them? would this work or would they slip and slide off each other because of the height. How would I go about icing that? Would it be really really hard?

4 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 31 Aug 2014 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 5

You would need to stick a long dowel into your cake drum - make a hole and hot glue it in, and build on it - lowering your cakes onto the dowel. Work out the finished height of your bottle so you can cut the dowel to size without leaving the top end of it sticking out. You will need a cardboard support every few inches with dowels below, to stop your cake collapsing on itself. Working with the cake cold at all times will make life easier. If you are using fondant as the outer layer, roll it thin and apply it by wrapping it around and disguising the seam. I won't be easy, but then if it was, it wouldn't be fun and your cake wouldn't be so original when done!

cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 5

A[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3282416/width/200/height/400[/IMG] I did this jack bottle last month. I let the fondant dry over a real bottle and encased the stacked cake if you know what I mean?! I did struggle to completely disguise the seam though.

bigdad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigdad Posted 4 Sep 2014 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 5

You could always make it out of rice krispies and a cake to go along with it

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 8:26am
post #5 of 5

Decide on the size- (I measure the height and circumference of the real bottle then multiply it to get all dimensions correct)   Cut a Dowel the height you want your bottle.   Use a wooden base board.  Screw the dowel in the center from the bottom up.     Depending on the final size you decided, bake the rounds.  When they are cool, stack them even and run a pipe or a dowel up the center to create a hole.   FREEZE the cake.    {I always cover my dowels with a pvc pipe so it's food safe- but a wooden dowel works fine.}     cut the crown off the bottom cake.  Put the bottom cake over your dowel. Ice/fill/ . Take 5 or 6 straws, and "dowel" the bottom cake. Cut the straws even with the cake, and put a  cake cardboard cut to the size of your cake.  Then add the next cake leaving the crown side up-  that will be the slope of your bottle...  Frost it.  Use modelling chocolate or fondant rolled thin  and wrap around the "neck" then buttercream the whole thing- using buttercream to build the slope .  Let it crust then use Viva and smooth it with papertowel.    Then airbrush it.  

If your bottle is bigger than 6 inches around you will need to use more straws to dowel it. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%