1/2 Fondant 1/2 Buttercream? Will It Work?

Decorating By MELROSE315 Updated 31 Aug 2014 , 7:04pm by MELROSE315

MELROSE315 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MELROSE315 Posted 31 Aug 2014 , 3:56am
post #1 of 4

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3281108/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

I am trying to attempt a few aspects of this horse cake. Originally from splendor cakes. Ok question one. I am assuming from this picture that this is buttercream with fondant horses

Two. Is it safe to say if I let this cake crust and refrigerate I should be able paint the grass without a mess?

Three. I have used fondant cutouts on buttercream before and had problems with them sliding and falling when the cake is room temperature. Obviously it is possible with this cake, but what would you say is the secret to keeping them in place?

Thanks to all who can help me. My niece is horse crazy and would love it if I can pull this off. Oh and I have to put on a second tier with a sunset of some kind .

3 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 31 Aug 2014 , 4:50am
post #2 of 4

Looks like all fondant to me.  That's how I'd do it. 

It could be done on BC.  I've never painted on BC, crusted or otherwise.  It can be done, as I understand.

I apply fondant appliques to BC or fondant cold so that they keep their shape.  On BC, I use water or thinned BC and I don't have problems with them slipping.  On fondant I use veg. shortening or water.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 31 Aug 2014 , 5:14am
post #3 of 4

Doesn't look like buttercream to me either.  Looks like all fondant.  Very pretty design.

MELROSE315 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MELROSE315 Posted 31 Aug 2014 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 4

AThanks ! I don't know why I convinced myself that this was buttercream... Maybe it was the color. Well that will definately make my task easier! Thanks for the support.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%