Homemade "ready Rolled" Fondant

Decorating By staceyboots Updated 28 Aug 2014 , 3:55pm by Snowflakebunny23

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 2

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any success with "ready rolled" fondant.

I wanted to practice some techniques over the weekend so I bought a box of Tesco Rolled Icing from the supermarket.

It was my first time buying this product so imagine my surprise when I opened the box and the fondant was already rolled out!  It was rolled flat onto a thin plastic mat with a long 1" dia. plastic cylinder at one bottom (I guess that was to keep it from flattening).

So I began to think "maybe I can do this with all of my fondant that will be used to cover cakes"......prepare the fondant, roll it onto a mat, roll it up, and then store it in an airtight container until I am ready to use it.

Has anyone ever tried this before?  I'll be interested in hearing your feedback because if it works, it certainly will save some time.

I couldn't find an image of the Tesco product online so I'm including some images from another brand.

Stacey

1 reply
Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 2

Never tried it before but the last time I got the ready-rolled stuff (they had sold out of the blocks), I had to roll it again anyway.  The 'roll' was uneven/distorted and I found it way too think for my liking.  Maybe it's just a preference thing though...guess it can't hurt to try?!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%