What Constitutes A Recipe Being "yours"

Baking By shellielatham Updated 8 Sep 2014 , 8:10pm by -K8memphis

shellielatham Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 19

Little back story:  My 11yo daughter wants to participate in the county fair by entering a cake.  I have a choc cake recipe that I have used for years that came from some where else but I add/change a few things. 

Would this be considered "my" recipe?  I don't want to be cheating.  It's not a box cake, it's scratch.

Thanks in advance for your input.

18 replies
-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 19

it's ok -- she should do it -- i mean it's not her recipe either it's yours right -- why not though -- is it supposed to be an original? 

shellielatham Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 19

In all honesty cake is cake.  It's flour and sugar and eggs etc.  So I'm sure that some where in the universe a recipe is re-used thinking it is their own?  Unless it's specialty gluten-free, egg-free or something like that.

How original can you get? 

shellielatham Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 19

I use a recipe that I got somewhere else and I use coffee in place of water etc. a few little adjustments.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 19

do the rules state anything in particular about the origin of the recipe?

shellielatham Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 19

"entries must be homemade (from scratch) except where noted" 

That's all I see on the page that talks about it.  

-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 19

that means don't use a cake mix or canned frosting or a cake from the bakery --

you have to mix up flour/sugar/eggs etc pan it bake it -- mix up a sugary delight for icing and slap it on etc.

she's good -- hope she does great! would love to hear a follow up 

best to y'all

shellielatham Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 19

This will be a first for her (me too) and I think it will be a great experience for her.  Fair is Sept 6th I will post an update to this post. 

I called and asked and they said as long as it's not from a box it doesn't matter where the rcipe comes from.  

-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 19

what state are you in?

shellielatham Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 19

Oklahoma, why?  

-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 8:40pm
post #11 of 19

just curious-- wanted to place you guys on the map -- i'm rootin' for yahs!

shellielatham Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 9:38pm
post #12 of 19

Oh, ok.  I didn't know if there was a state-by-state something or other...

MBalaska Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 9:43pm
post #13 of 19

most recipes are as old as the hills and used by billions of bakers.  When I use a recipe right out of a persons published book (like Mimi Fix's vanilla cupcakes or Sylvia Weinstocks yellow cake or Lindy Smiths fondant) I give them full credit for their brilliant contributions.  They deserve the applause.

I often change something, like the temp of the Best Ever Banana Pudding Cake recipe.  Noting that clearly in the post - so there's no confusion.

However, in this case, your daughter is using your tried and true recipe - so it's yours to claim.  Best Wishes to your daughter ShellyLatham!  Blue Ribbon time.

shellielatham Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 9:51pm
post #14 of 19

(<<Ahem it's ie) Just kidding!

When you think about it cake is cake.  It's flour, sugar, eggs, oil/fat, liquid, flavoring etc.  How can you make an "original" cake recipe? You can tweak amounts or flavors and sub things like coffee for water or buttermilk for regular etc but at the end of the day it's a basic cake you've out your touch on.  If that makes any sense at all?

I use the recipe on the side of a Hershey's cocoa can.  I use 3 eggs instead of 2 and add a cup of hot, strong coffee instead of the boiling water.  Going to do a trial batch using buttermilk instead of regular milk and see what happens.  Also going to try putting one directly in the freezer to see if that changes the texture or moisture levels.  

We love this chocolate cake.  It is good on it's own, with no frosting. 

I just wanted everyone's take on this subject.

Crazy-Gray Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 10:15am
post #15 of 19

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellielatham 

(<<Ahem it's ie) Just kidding!

When you think about it cake is cake.  It's flour, sugar, eggs, oil/fat, liquid, flavoring etc.  How can you make an "original" cake recipe? You can tweak amounts or flavors and sub things like coffee for water or buttermilk for regular etc but at the end of the day it's a basic cake you've out your touch on.  If that makes any sense at all?

Sure music is just the same.... there are only so many notes and chords you just swap them about a bit and sub different ones in/out.... how can any new music be original? :) I do agree with you though..... many recipies are very similar... but slight changes and mixing things in a different order, different speed, ingredients straight out the fridge or not.... all that can make the final cake totally different; if you get a different end result in my opinion that's enough to say it's a different recipe. my winning choc cake recipe is, in my opinion, original; it's based on a dutch apple cake but I switched a few ingredients and tweaked amounts.......... although I must admit the line between a 'variation' of a recipe and an original recipe does seem hard to draw!! lol

looks like I've ended up sitting on the fence ha ha

-K8memphis Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 11:00am
post #16 of 19

Ais your winning chocolate cake recipe top secret? :) based from a Dutch apple cake? Geez I'd love/settle for a good apple cake -- my mom-in-law made an unforgettable apple cake that my daughter and i occasionally reminisce about droolisiously speaking.

shellielatham Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 3:24pm
post #17 of 19

I shared my recipe. ;)

shellielatham Posted 8 Sep 2014 , 8:08pm
post #18 of 19

We didn't end up participating.  We started baking a couple days bf the fair and the cake was a bust and there just wasn't another opportunity to get another one baked.  Maybe next year.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Sep 2014 , 8:10pm
post #19 of 19

oh dang -- keep practicing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%