Sugar Dress Ingredients

Decorating By JuliaAnna Updated 1 Oct 2014 , 2:29pm by mareg

JuliaAnna Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know what the liquid ingredient is in that little vial they include with the sugar dress mixture?  It seems like it could simply be glycerin, but I'm not sure.  The reason I'm asking is that I have plenty of the powder left, but the liquid is used up.  I'm wondering why they don't include enough of the liquid to match the number of batches that the powder would allow for.  I don't want to order another container just for the liquid ingredient if all it is is vegetable glycerin.  I have some of that on hand.

6 replies
roxylee123 Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 7

It does seem to be something like glycerine.Why not experiment with the glycerine and see what you end up with.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 1:27am
post #3 of 7

The same thing happened to me this past March...ran out of liquid with quite  bit of powder left.  I used 1 teaspoon glycerin instead.  I still have some of the lace from that batch stored and it's still perfectly flexible and usable, so I say...yes, just use the glycerin!

VACakelady Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 7

I contacted Martellato about the leftover powder to see if that was normal. I've followed the recipe directions exactly. They didn't answer my question directly but let me know that I could purchase additional vials of the gel preparation part for $3.50 each plus shipping. I'll try with just glycerin with my leftover powder first. 

Jeff_Arnett Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 7

I've used glycerine several times now and the lace dries fine and has remained usable for months.

JuliaAnna Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks to you all for responding.  Next time I need to make lace, I'll try the glycerin. 

mareg Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 7

AGood to know. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%