Please Calm Me Down Before I Write Something I Regret...

Business By FrostedMoon Updated 15 Oct 2014 , 10:48pm by quinncakes

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 7:44pm
post #31 of 47

Metamucil and vodka, Chocolate being too chocolaty, healthier fondant, a quick & easy 3-D superman cake...ha ha ha ha ha ha 

Oh you guys are really on a roll, and someone needs to call the police on those customers of yours. :judge:

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 11:28pm
post #32 of 47

I got a couple of head-scratchers today but I can't post them because they're actual current customer things. You just have to remember that people aren't saying these things to make you mad, they really are clueless. Explaining why they can't have what they're asking for is usually enough to un-confuse them.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 1:03am
post #33 of 47

I had a niece of mine ask me to make her child a 6 layer rainbow (inside and out) cake with smash cake.  I gave her the "family rate" which was barely over cost.  Thinking that I could be persuaded to lower it some more, she offered up that she knew someone who offered to make it for $25.00.  I politely said "if you an find someone to make a cake like that for $25.00 you better grab them!".  I found out later that there was no rainbow cake......

msbelle21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msbelle21 Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 1:24am
post #34 of 47

AUgh. A lot of the people who want cheap cakes can't bake or cook, so they have absolutely no idea what happens in a kitchen, the time invested in successfully completing their requests, the trial and error we've all had to go through to perfect/near-perfect creations. I got so annoyed at work because I overheard someone say, "...I mean I can get cupcakes at Walmart or Raleys for like a buck". So I asked, politely, "would you ask a car salesman for a Ferrari at a Kia Forte price?" Her reply? "No. Why the f$@! would I do that?"

My point exactly. I felt like sipping a cup of tea with my pinky in the air lol.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 1:02pm
post #35 of 47

Gotta love the rainbow cake orders!  Either "someone" came to his or her senses or they didn't exist!  I charge extra for rainbow cakes.  It's on my PIA list along with Minecraft cakes and chevron!  Lately I feel like the only thing worse than a rainbow cake is a Frozen themed rainbow cake!!  Bah ha ha!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 2:12pm
post #36 of 47

As everyone stated, the best thing is to do is tell her you cannot accommodate her request and just send her back to where she had originally gone.  Pricing issues happen in every industry across the board, but it's the under cutters who fail.

As for the illegal business, report her to the county Board of Health.  As you know, they keep all reports agains someone in confidentiality, so you will not be mentioned when you report this person.

MBalaska Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 7:53pm
post #37 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostedMoon 

I got emails today that included both the infamous "can you make the frosting less sweet" and the "I've been able to get specialty cakes for my children every year to server 30+ people and have been able to pay $70 or less"   .......

I'm trying very hard to stay calm and write an appropriate and business-like response, but I really want to scream "go back to your cheap baker and get a damn cake there if what I'm offering isn't good enough!" .................

GRRRRRRRRR!!!

How you doing @FrostedMoon??  It's been over a month, are you back on your feet?

bahamabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bahamabread Posted 30 Sep 2014 , 10:55pm
post #38 of 47

Yea…….how do you make it "less sweet" when its basically made from sugar?

MBalaska Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 6:52am
post #39 of 47

Spread it on a carrot.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 2:32am
post #40 of 47

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

Spread it on a carrot.

Snort!! Hahahahah

FrostedMoon Posted 5 Oct 2014 , 11:42pm
post #41 of 47

Thanks for checking in MBalaska, sorry for the delay in responding.

Both orders from this post are in the rear view mirror.  I let that sort of thing go quickly once I vent.

I am not giving up the caking world just yet.  After a crazy busy month I'm working hard to not book a ton of orders and give myself a chance to breath.  Only had two cakes this weekend, no all nighters, and had the kitchen clean before the last order was picked up.  For once on a Sunday I don't feel like I got hit by a truck and actually got things done with my family.  I turned down 5 upcoming orders this past week, not an easy thing to do mentally, but I think it's what I need to do until I can become more efficient in balancing this whole life/work thing.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 2:03am
post #42 of 47

AWhat johnson said. Although it's a great one, nicely worded, and I have nothing but love for CakeBoss, please reconsider attaching one of those pictures that explains what cakes cost. You're not magically goi

Original message sent by FrostedMoon

For once on a Sunday I don't feel like I got hit by a truck and actually got things done with my family.  I turned down 5 upcoming orders this past week, not an easy thing to do mentally, but I think it's what I need to do until I can become more efficient in balancing this whole life/work thing.

Go you!

FrostedMoon Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 2:44am
post #43 of 47

Thanks!

AZ, also really taking to heart your suggestion for a minimum amount per cake order.  Last week wasn't the norm, but I made the same amount of money with this weekend's two orders as I did with 4 little orders last week and it took me half the week to recover!  Got to get rid of the little stuff.  I want to strive to be more of a quality vs quantity baker.  :D

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 4:12am
post #44 of 47

AOh, part of another reply accidentally got attached..oops.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 6 Oct 2014 , 8:25am
post #45 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostedMoon 

Thanks!

AZ, also really taking to heart your suggestion for a minimum amount per cake order.  Last week wasn't the norm, but I made the same amount of money with this weekend's two orders as I did with 4 little orders last week and it took me half the week to recover!  Got to get rid of the little stuff.  I want to strive to be more of a quality vs quantity baker.  :D

Thats the spirit, play hard to get it always works x

quinncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quinncakes Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 10:41pm
post #46 of 47

A

Original message sent by cakegrandma

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmen ! ;-D

Thank you for posting this!!! Great chart!!! Secondly, you shouldn't have to justify your pricing to anyone, if they want a cheaper cake then they know where to get one. Don't feel discouraged because of her remarks, I've under charged so many times the first ones I made, they don't deserve something that takes so much time and effort if they are going to complain about the price. I've had to learn not to drop prices;cake Makers should always price their work for its value, especially custom work and don't feel discouraged, the right customers will value the work :)

quinncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quinncakes Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 10:48pm
post #47 of 47

AOops,I guest the chart didn't show up on my post, haha... thanks for sharing it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%