Cover Rice Cereal Treats With Fondant And Keep It Smooth???

Decorating By abremer Updated 29 Aug 2014 , 10:56pm by MBalaska

abremer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abremer Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 13

I have someone who requested this cake I am thinking the monkey head and the box top should be rice cereal treats, but every time I cover rice cereal it turns out lumpy.  Any suggestions for making it nice and smooth like this picture?

12 replies
thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 13

AUse melted chocolate before you cover with fondant.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 13

I second thecakewitch's answer.  I always use the melted chocolate to smooth any rice krispie modeling.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 13

AI can't see the picture but sometimes i use a microplane to smooth out rkt

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 13

I have just layered mine with BC and smoothed it and it hasn't been lumpy.  I've not tried the melted chocolate though.

abremer Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks for the tips.

I've used icing before, but it hasn't worked well for me.  I just tried the melted chocolate, and it does help a lot.  But now how do I get the chocolate really smooth?  There are waves.  Any tips?

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 13

AOnce the chocolate has set firm, shave it off with a shard knife or rub with your palm/fingers. The warmth from your hands will shoften the chocolate so you can smooth out the surface. Also using thicker fondant will help cover the flaws/lumps (even if you're just using icing). :)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattyeatscakes 

Once the chocolate has set firm, shave it off with a shard knife or rub with your palm/fingers. The warmth from your hands will shoften the chocolate so you can smooth out the surface. Also using thicker fondant will help cover the flaws/lumps (even if you're just using icing). icon_smile.gif

I'm glad that you guys have answered that question.  I tried making a big RKT bear a while back and when I got done covering him in fondant he looked like he had a medical condition in his fur!

This does sound do-able mattyeatscakes.

abremer Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 13

AThanks, that worked great! I hit it with the blow dryer and smoothed with my hands. I guess my hands are too cold :)

SweetT14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetT14 Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 13

AMBalaska, that was too funny!

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 13

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

I tried making a big RKT bear a while back and when I got done covering him in fondant he looked like he had a medical condition in his fur!

Don't stress, the first fondant fairy I made looked like she was in dire need of weight watchers as I didn't use enough tylose and she slowly got shorter and fatter before the fondant hardened! Either that or she had an alien growing in her belly!

And several of the early animals I made have looked like the victims of a stroke with a nice droop in one direction. Sometimes I think medical assistance may be needed....maybe I can ask them to pop by your place later mb.....

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 10:32pm
post #12 of 13

ASame here! I'm not the best sculptor. My first lala loopsy for my niece, the kids were making fun of it because apparently the figure looked like she was pregnant. Hmmmp! Thanks, no cake for u! Lol

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 10:56pm
post #13 of 13

Best that we all have a laugh at our own expense.  It makes it easier to carry on and keep trying.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to get into the DH's carving tool cabinet and get out some planers for the next attempt as K8memphis suggests.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%