Copyright Infringement Question

Business By Korinascakes Updated 27 Aug 2014 , 2:31am by costumeczar

Korinascakes Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 3

Ahopefully someone can answer this question for me! I have agreed to make a spongebob cake, and then I find out about the copyright infringement laws regarding cakes! I'm wondering if I just make a cake shaped like his pineapple house then add a licensed figurine is that illegal?I have researched it to death and I'm just not sure. I was originally going to make the pineapple house and make little characters out of fondant, but I know that is illegal! Thanks so much!

2 replies
kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 3

You can make the cake as long as there is NO money in any way, shape, or form change hands. 

It is my understanding that YOU cannot even add a figure (purchased).  You leave that up to the customer.  They can add it.

I'm not totally up on all the 'fine print' so not sure if your idea of a pineapple house would work either.  If it's generic enough maybe.

costumeczar Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 2:31am
post #3 of 3

If it's recognizable as the spongebob anything (including the house) it's a copyright violation. The customer can place the figures on it but you can't make them or sell them as far as I know.

I'd make a pineapple and an Easter Island head like Squidward's house and let the client put their own figures on it. The kids like that anyway because they can keep the toys after the party.:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%