Tylose Vs No Tylose

Decorating By newb2 Updated 26 Aug 2014 , 1:26pm by vldutoit

newb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newb2 Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 8

I just started working with fondant and only make cakes for family so I'm definitely learning. My question is how do you determine when you use tylose and when you don't. Is fondant still edible with tylose or is it too hard to eat? I made cupcakes with a fondant cover decoration and it took the shape of the buttercream underneath. Any tips or tricks on this? tia. 

7 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 8

AIf you want an item to set hard, then you add tylose to your fondant. This is generally for toppers, like figurines or bows etc. The more tylose you add, the faster the fondant dries. This can be a good thing - if you want to preserve a difficult shape that would sag under gravity, I would add a lot of tylose to the fondant eg the legs of a standing figurine, or an elephant's trunk that I wanted raised in the air.

Of course the faster the fondant sets up, the faster you have to work, so it's a good idea to practise a shape first, then add the tylose to the fondant and re-make the shape.

If you're just covering a cake with fondant, or adding flat decor eg cutouts, then you don't add tylose. You want to have the time to smooth these items well and you don't really want a hard fondant sheep covering your cake!

The fondant/tylose is edible - they're just hard, so perhaps they're not the most pleasant things to eat - my kids often eat the figurines, but it's not my cup of tea. Then again, I'm not really a fondant/frosting kind of girl. Perhaps if you could coat a cake in salted nuts or potato chips I might be lining up for some cake.....

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniemog 

"........ Perhaps if you could coat a cake in salted nuts or potato chips I might be lining up for some cake....."
if you haven't already tried it winniemog, get some ruffled potato chips and dip them in milk or semi-sweet chocolate....... it's excellent :party:

adding a bit of tylose helps your bows stand up nicely also.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 8

AOK, now this is going to be an issue for my waistline- thanks for that MBAlaska! Potato chips dipped in dark chocolate.....now that sounds better than baking cupcakes all day today!

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 8

ALays has a cappuccino potato chip now, saw at my local Walmart this afternoon. Wonder what that is like?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 25 Aug 2014 , 2:48am
post #6 of 8

coffee flavored potatoes....taste test them.....(bet they don't taste like tylose & fondant.)  :? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Aug 2014 , 4:41am
post #7 of 8

In my experience fondant/w.tylose dries firm but not hard-hard :) 

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 8

A[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3279819/width/200/height/400[/IMG] this is another new potato chip this one doesn't need dipping in chocolate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%