Help!

Decorating By jensco1687 Updated 30 Aug 2014 , 2:36pm by jensco1687

jensco1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensco1687 Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 7

AI delivered a cake yesterday w/ SMBC (used pasteurized egg whites and additionally heated it) and she called me today saying that some of it started melting and that she left it on her counter all night. Should I advise her not to eat it since it's been exposed to a "temperature danger zone" for a good 15 hours?!

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 7

yes probably -- she spoiled her cake --should have been kept in a cool to cold place -- was it the exhaust of a fridge or something? had to be pretty warm to melt it -- dang i hate that happened!

i don't think you should bear any responsibility with what you have said so far but did you advise her to fridge it? 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 7

i said 'probably' because think if royal icing melted it would not spoil anything necessarily but there's no milk fats in royal -- really kind of a borderline determination but still i would not eat it and it's safe to err on the side of caution --

i'm sure someone could pipe up and say i kept my cream cheese (yours doesn't have cc i'm just saying) out for 7 days before i made the icing and then it melted and we used it the next month as syrup for our ice cream and "nobody died" and it was really cool how it bubbled up ;)

so i'd advise her of that but be careful to not take responsibility -- had to be in the nineties or by some kind of warm moving air which is not your problem --

jensco1687 Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 7

AHuh, I totally didn't think about that- it being in the nineties. She never sent a pic so I'm not sure how much melting went on. I advised her in a very long email chain that it will stay good in the refrigerator if she has it for a long period of time. I'm currently in the middle of serve safe classes and everything is starting to scare the bojangles out of me! Thanks for the response k8 Memphis!

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 7

I recommend putting labels on your boxed desserts that say keep refrigerated or store at room temperature.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 2:44am
post #6 of 7

That;s what I do.  Write in magic marker on the box PLEASE KEEP REFRIGERATED.  

jensco1687 Posted 30 Aug 2014 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 7

Nice! I definitely will do that! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%