Ideas Please

Decorating By Rebecca2012 Updated 27 Aug 2014 , 9:55pm by Rebecca2012

Rebecca2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebecca2012 Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 2:06am
post #1 of 11

ASomeone has asked me to do a hill climbing cake to feed around 60 people. I figured I would make a 12 x 18 sheet cake. The thing I can't decide on is how to do the hill on the cake. I don't know whether it would be better to do it out of cake or rice crispy treats. Any ideas would be appreciated!

10 replies
FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 2:56am
post #2 of 11

Look into the Wilton sports ball pan. You can use half the ball and put it on straw/cakeboard on top of the cake. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 4:34am
post #3 of 11

Another option is to use a 'doll skirt' pan sometimes called the Wonder Mold.  There is a lg size and a mini.  Or you could build one out of cake scraps or small rounds.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 5:08am
post #4 of 11

AIf I ordered a hill climbing cake, I would definitely be expecting the hill to be made of cake, not RKT. There are so muany options, I would go with the dolly varden tin or carve away at a bunch of round cakes. The last hill cake I did was a 12, 10 and 8 inch round stacked and carved, all on top of sheet cakes (about 18x13").

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 11:16am
post #5 of 11

AYou can cut an 8" cake in half making two half moon shapes then place them together cut side down for another easy peasy way to make a hill-- fill it in with artfully directed icing --

typically you need to dowel every 4" to 6" of height but we rarely doweled this set up on a sheet cake because it's just a brief area that's that tall -- no problem-o

Bunny0410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunny0410 Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 11

I would go with cake..

SilviaMancini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SilviaMancini Posted 25 Aug 2014 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 11

I wouldn't   use the rice crispy ( because it too much heavy) but I would do it out of cake ! 

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 25 Aug 2014 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 11

I made this skier's cake for my nephew a few years ago. 

http://www.cakecentral.com/g/a/2232036/skiers-cake/

As some above have said, make it out of cake! I just used different size pans, pyrex bowl, cupcake, etc, cut around some other pieces and had it all on a sheet cake. I use the fat straws to hold everybody together.  And I traveled about 35 miles with it. The sheet cake part gives you extra servings too and it can be layered if that works out better.  The beauty of nature is it's irregularity so that's a plus!  No one's expecting one side to look like the other - which worked out perfectly for me!

Good luck

Theresa

SilviaMancini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SilviaMancini Posted 25 Aug 2014 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresaf 

I made this skier's cake for my nephew a few years ago. 

http://www.cakecentral.com/g/a/2232036/skiers-cake/

As some above have said, make it out of cake! I just used different size pans, pyrex bowl, cupcake, etc, cut around some other pieces and had it all on a sheet cake. I use the fat straws to hold everybody together.  And I traveled about 35 miles with it. The sheet cake part gives you extra servings too and it can be layered if that works out better.  The beauty of nature is it's irregularity so that's a plus!  No one's expecting one side to look like the other - which worked out perfectly for me!

Good luck

Theresa

CraftyCassie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraftyCassie Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 12:35am
post #10 of 11

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3280016/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I used the Wilton Cake Ball pan. On a 9X13. Not big enough for 60. I cut an arch out of one half of the hill to line up with the other half. Definitely cake.

Rebecca2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebecca2012 Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 9:55pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone. I will definitely use cake. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%