Add Silver Leaf On Fondant

Decorating By Angelabakes Updated 24 Aug 2014 , 8:20pm by -K8memphis

Angelabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelabakes Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 12:06am
post #1 of 11

AI am making a four tier anniversary cake for tomorrow, which I need to drive 5 hours to deliver. I am covering the cake in fondant-one tier will be the silver leaf sheets.

Has anyone used the silver leaf sheets, and then refrigerated the cake over night? Is this something I should wait til morning to do?

Any input would be lovely! Thanks y'all!

Also, any tips on how to use the silver transfer sheets would be nice as well!

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 12:23am
post #2 of 11

Athere was a very slight difference but i kept my cakes cold even though i applied as last minute as possible --

i bought two kinds -- the ones attached to a piece of paper and the kind that is completely loose leaf-- and i actually liked the first one better -- they're almost impossibly fragile -- don't breathe hard -- i lost a few sheets just leafing through opening it up -- poof gone!

best to you

Angelabakes Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 12:41am
post #3 of 11

AWhat did you use as an adhesive, to get the silver leaf on the cake?

I bought the kind on transfer paper this round. But I'll certainly hold my breathe and move in slow motion!

Thank you!

-K8memphis Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 12:48am
post #4 of 11

Ai applied it to smbc -- no adhesive was necessary -- i think it just sticks where it's planted even on fondant -- i hope you can do a little test for yourself -- you'll feel better

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 3:57am
post #5 of 11

If you have the kind that needs to be rubbed from the other side, good luck. Never been able to get that to work for me; gold nor silver. The loose sheets are your best bet, but you can't have a lick of air circulation going while you're working with it. I even turn my head sideways to exhale while i'm applying it. :D

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 8:07am
post #6 of 11

I use the transfer sheets for applying onto cakes.

With fondant you may want to try dampening your surface to make it tacky before applying the leaf. Alternatively you can apply a thin layer of shortening or gildesol or sugar glue. It just works better when the surface is tacky to the touch.

-K8memphis Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 11:46am
post #7 of 11

Ait was difficult for me to get this stuff to even travel in one piece from the tabletop up to the area that I wanted to cover so I put a board on top of the cake and moved the leaf down from there-- that's why the transfers were that little bit easier for me -- the transfer gave a little body to it --

and the little corner that touches the tweezers or your finger is lost -- it is plenty do-able just expect to lose a few very fast then you'll get it -- they are like pounded out drops of water you can hold briefly

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 11:47am
post #8 of 11

Well you have probably already finished your cake, but for future reference, this is information I received last year from Chellescakes here on CC.  It was great and worked out really well for me.

quote from Chellescakes:

I cover the cake in fondant , make sure your covering is as smooth and flawless as you can make it, as any flaw will be accentuated when you apply the leaf to it. 

I like to let it sit at least 24 hours to dry out and harden a bit , two to three days is better. 

I work with mudcake covered with ganache so I can leave mine for a couple of days if I need to.  

I use cotton gloves , a large soft dry paintbrush. Very soft is the key here. You will need some clean unused chux dishcloths . 

I pour boiling water over the dishcloths to sterilise them . 

I then lay them flat on a clean plate , they need to have most of the water wrung out of them , so they are just damp.

Work in small sections. Dampen the fondant with the cloth , until it is just tacky. make sure you don't miss any spots as the leaf will not stick. If your icing is a bit wet wait a few minutes until it is tacky but not sopping wet sticky. 

with your cotton gloves on , place the gold leaf neatly on the fondant over the tacky area, and use the soft clean dry brush on the backing paper to encourage the leaf to stick to the cake , when you are sure it is stuck to the cake , carefully remove the paper . Repeat the process until you have gone all the way around the cake . You can touch up any area that may have slight flaws later , using a small damp paint brush( to dampen the fondant )  and some extra leaf . 

Angelabakes Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 11

AThank you for the great feedback! For the first time using these silver sheets, I didn't panic as much as I thought. The sheets are really fragile, and thankfully I had extra to cover in spots that tore. The biggest thing is the silver wasn't perfectly line up on the top tier. I will certainly try this technique next time Kkmcmahan! Thanks everyone!

Here is a photo of the final piece! [IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3279190/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 11

Came out great!

-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 11

Ait did come out great-- congrats

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%