Groups Asking For Bakery Tours At My Place

Business By SuzyXD Updated 26 Aug 2014 , 6:34pm by Cevamal

SuzyXD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyXD Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 11

I can see offering bakery tours being mutually beneficial, but am uneasy about a group of children walking through my working kitchen.  Of course, we could do it when we're closed, but then they don't see the operation...operating!  

Could bring in families that hadn't heard about us though.  Thoughts?

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 11

it's likely against the health code so you'd need to check there first

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 11

Def check with your HD, but it might just be a case of them having to wear disposable hair nets and shoe covers. You would need to set the max amount of children and ensure they come with a responsible adult/more than one for large groups. And set rules, especially NO TOUCHING ANYTHING! It could be fun, especially if you time it right and they can see cookies baking or something and then get to have one before they leave. Assuming you like kids. I wouldn't do it for that very reason :roll:

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 11

And check your insurance policy. It may not allow this.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 11

The HD and my insurance don't allow children in either my commercial or home bakery.

Not to mention the fact that I don't let children in my bakery, haha, or other people. Other people are gross! They have pets, they sneeze, they wear linty clothing, they touch things.

(I of course never sneeze, pet a cat, or touch things :P)

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 11

AI'm territorial, so I wouldn't let anyone, unauthorized, into my work space. And no matter what kind of rules are in place, someone will ALWAYS touch something.

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 11

AI would be worried about the competition posing as visitors.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 11

Depends on the age of the kids. We did something similar as a kid. My class went to a bakery and we rolled some dough into a pretzel-ish shape and got to take that home. Did we ever order anything from them? I don't think so. Our short tour was at a bread factory in Orlando, FL. The name escapes me, but it's the one where you can smell the bread baking on I-4 early in the mornings, mmmmmm. I do remember we had to pay a fee (like all field trips).

If it's just a simple activity, you can have all the prep done so they just have to shape a cookie and bake. Make sure to have a set fee and limit the number of kids (or it will be a mad house). Work with a teacher you know/trust. Usually they will want to work it into their theme/lesson plan.

If it's just a decorating demo, you could do it at their school (home-ec classroom or some such)

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 11

A

Original message sent by IAmPamCakes

I'm territorial, so I wouldn't let anyone, unauthorized, into my work space. And no matter what kind of rules are in place, someone will ALWAYS touch something.

Too true, I can't stop myself especially if someone tells me not to. It's awful Something just takes over and I feel my arm moving....ended up with 5 kids that way. I could never trust myself in a cake shop.

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 12:29am
post #10 of 11

We have school tours coming into the store every so often.  They're led by one of the front end managers and she takes them through every department with the appropriate paper headwear (anyone remember those paper soda jerk hats?)  When they come to us, whoever is decorating gives them a simple demo like making a rose on a nail.  We show them the bread slicer.  I've demoed how I shape certain rolls/bread, depending on how early they arrive.  We give each of them a free cookie and off they go to the next department.

The kids on most of these tours are probably between the ages of 3-6.  They always have plenty of adult supervision.  I don't know about other departments, but in ours they're not allowed past the decorator bench.

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 6:34pm
post #11 of 11

A

Original message sent by cakebaby2

Too true, I can't stop myself especially if someone tells me not to. It's awful Something just takes over and I feel my arm moving....[B]ended up with 5 kids that way.[/B] I could never trust myself in a cake shop.

HA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%