Would You Sell This Cake?

Lounge By FlRugbyChick Updated 25 Aug 2014 , 1:04am by johnson6ofus

FlRugbyChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlRugbyChick Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 9

AI made this monster high cake for my daughter's 6th birthday. A few people have asked what I would charge for this cake. My question is, do you think it is good enough to sell, or should I keep practicing with free/supply cost cakes for friends and family?[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3278110/width/200/height/400[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3278111/width/200/height/400[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3278112/width/200/height/400[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3278113/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 9

Ait looks adorable to me -- if people want to buy it and you are complying with your local regulations -- sure why not sell it--

while it's true that some people wait until they are fully vested before they sell -- that is merely one template of many different ways to do it -- I mean someone else in your circle of friends will ask for a different design so be prepared to say no if need be or forge ahead with the greatest of ease --

governments are making it easier and easier for this to happen -- no reason why you should limit yourself unless you want to --

shellic63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellic63 Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 12:41am
post #3 of 9

That's a really cute cake. You did a great job. 

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 12:57am
post #4 of 9

Yes, I would sell that cake.  It came out great, especially since it sounds like you have not been doing cakes for long.  It's not difficult to become a legal cake business (if your town allows it).

FlRugbyChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlRugbyChick Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 9

ATy everyone. I have not been doing this type of cake very long. This was my 5th fondant covered cake, and my first 3 tier cake.

The reason I asked is because I,ve seen a few threads where exp bakers told newbies they should be ashamed of selling cakes they have posted.

From the research I've done I believe here in Florida I don't need to do anything to start selling. All I need to do is make a label that says my cake is a cottage food.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 9

I would sell it (yours looks great-BTW!).

But to some others, who don't have the talent, patience, or skills, I would say:

Even if it was "sub-par"*, I would sell it , if the "buyer" had seen my work. Not everyone can afford, or wants to afford a true work of art cake masterpiece. We all make compromises in everything we buy. Would I prefer 18kt gold to 10kt... yes... but the price may affect my choice. 

The liars who steal photos, misrepresent THEIR skill, experience, or talent--- well, that's another story. 

* Don't forget, "sub-par" is up for discussion too! Not every cake sold, even by licensed professionals, is awesome. Ala Cakewrecks! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 9

Aso true, johnson6ofus

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 25 Aug 2014 , 12:31am
post #8 of 9

In Florida it varies by county, there are some counties that do not allow it despite the state allowing it. Check with your city and county, they may require something other than a business registration and a sales tax ID.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 25 Aug 2014 , 1:04am
post #9 of 9

Thanks K*

BTW, forgot to add a BIG shout out to FIRugbychick. Wow! Really great work for your 5th fondant cake? Looks really clean to me---congrats! Can't imagine how much greater you may be with a few more cakes under your belt. I am impressed..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%