Just Curious.....wilton 2015 Yearbook?

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 19 Aug 2014 , 11:51pm by kakeladi

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 17

Will there be a 2015 Wilton Yearbook this year?  I haven't seen anything yet at the craft stores and the yearbook is usually out before now......

16 replies
tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 17

Getting the Wilton Year book was one of the things I looked forward to every summer. I called Wilton last week to see what was going on and the customer service rep told me there will be no 2015 year book and there are no plans for future year books. So sad to see a long tradition going away. Maybe if enough people call and write they will re-consider.

:cry:

Jeff_Arnett Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 17

If that's the case Wilton may soon disappear altogether.  With so many other resources available for cake decorating now, without their ideas in the yearbook, I'm afraid they will be lost in the shuffle.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 17

I agree that without the year book Wilton will probably soon be just a memory, like Maid of Scandinavia/Sweet Celebrations, and MailBox News.  All were front runners in cake decorating supplies, and ideas, and are now gone.

I feel the quality of many of the Wilton products has been poor for a long time, they cater to the new decorator, if they would upgrade the quality of their products they could continue to be player in the cake decorating market,while their prices are not that much lower, the quality is not always there.

Many things have changed in the past 10 years in cake decorating, amazing cakes are being produced, but the skill levels of piping, are being lost, you can buy a mold, roll out fondant, sugar vail, and your cake is decorated.  The same thing is happening with the magazines that are being published today.

My personal feeling is that the "new" slick cake decorating magazines, can't not hold a candle to the old Mailbox News.  I have every issue of American Cake Decorating, but will not be renewing it when the currant subscription runs out.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 17

I agree very much.  I miss the days of piped cakes and buttercream flowers.  I know taste and style have to change, but I still long for those days sometimes.  I think there was value in the anticipation of those publications too....now days if you want something, you simply Google it and its there....but I looked forward tor receiving Mailbox News and certainly the annual yearbook.  I guess I'm just old and waxing nostalgic.....

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 17

I'm really not surprised by this.  Let's face it..if you want cake decorating info or pics or ideas there is Google, You Tube, Pintrest... all FREE.  All you have do is pull out your tablet or smart phone.  If I have an extra $15 to spend I'm going to buy a new cake tool instead of the magazine. 

And I haven't bought a Wilton product in years.  I think they are great for new and beginning decorators (it's all I bought when I first started until I learned about other things).  I think the product line will continue because it's so prevalent in the big box craft stores.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett 

I agree very much.  I miss the days of piped cakes and buttercream flowers.  I know taste and style have to change, but I still long for those days sometimes.  I think there was value in the anticipation of those publications too....now days if you want something, you simply Google it and its there....but I looked forward tor receiving Mailbox News and certainly the annual yearbook.  I guess I'm just old and waxing nostalgic.....

Wax on Jeff_Arnett, wax on.  We'll start a club for old Buttercream lovers and we'll get jackets.

and maybe tattoo's.

MBalaska Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakesbycathy 

I'm really not surprised by this.  Let's face it..if you want cake decorating info or pics or ideas there is Google, You Tube, Pintrest... all FREE.  All you have do is pull out your tablet or smart phone.  If I have an extra $15 to spend I'm going to buy a new cake tool instead of the magazine. 

And I haven't bought a Wilton product in years.  I think they are great for new and beginning decorators (it's all I bought when I first started until I learned about other things).  I think the product line will continue because it's so prevalent in the big box craft stores.

cakesbycathy, Yes you make a great point.  Every business has to adapt and grow with the times.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 17

A"and maybe tatoos" too funny, mb! i'm in...maybe :)

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 11:23pm
post #10 of 17

Attention to all those wanting tattoos and yearbooks--there IS an alternative that will appease the addiction for a while!  ....it's NOT the yearbooks, it's ebay (or other used book sellers online). 

A great suggestion that I found on line when I began cake decorating in the Wilton courses in March 2010: Find the old 1970's Wilton encyclopedias on half.com or eBay or Alibris.com and buy them! There are 3 volumes, 1, 2 and 3 and they illustrate all the "old" techniques, which of course, were mostly BC They show how to pipe people and animals and all sorts of stuff!

The Wilton Way of Cake Decorating, Volume One
ISBN 0912696044
Originally published in 1974.

The Wilton Way of Cake Decorating, Volume Two
ISBN 0912696117
Originally published 1977

The Wilton Way of Cake Decorating, Volume Three
ISBN 0912696168
Originally published 1979

When you search online to purchase, VERIFY WITH THE SELLER BEFORE PURCHASE that they are the Encyclopedia Volumes 1, 2 or 3. Many book sellers list the wrong books! (They will list any of a number of old Wilton books that will not be what you want.) My versions say on the cover of each book "Volume 1, A complete encyclopedia" (and so on for Vol 2 and 3).    Additionally, one of the volumes (sorry, can't find my original notes) has the exact, same ISBN as another Wilton publication that is NOT the one you want.  Make the seller physically LOOK at the book before purchase/shipping.

There is also a Wilton book that is an "oldie but goodie", but this book is not as good as the 3 encyclopedia's listed above.    (here's a photo from amazon.com):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006BZIEQ/?tag=cakecentral-20

Do a google search with the ISBN (International Standard Book Number) and you'll come up with all sorts of used book sellers and price ranges.  You'll find the encyclopedias listed from about $5 + S/H up to ridiculous prices like $100.  Keep searching until you get a price of around $25 including S/H (or less!) for each volume. 

Here is a link to see what the volumes should look like with a dust cover:

http://search.wilton.com/?q=encyclopedia

Wilton also published some different cover art, or no cover art at all under the dust cover, just be SURE the actual titles match.

MBalaska Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 12:08am
post #11 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apti 

Attention to all those wanting tattoos and yearbooks--there IS an alternative that will appease the addiction for a while!  ....it's NOT the yearbooks, it's ebay (or other used book sellers online). 

The Wilton Way of Cake Decorating, Volume Three
ISBN 0912696168
Originally published 1979

Apti, I've got this one from 1979.   'Volume Three The Uses Of Tubes'

It never occurred to me to look for the first two.  I'm going shopping.  {and someone still needs to design us a buttercream tat'} :razz:

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 12:13am
post #12 of 17

Aapti, thank you -- priceless information -- and a little bit of trivia -- I bought the 70's yearbooks as they came out -- lol

i have the #2 encyclopedia -- and it covers a wealth of non buttercream info -- decorating from all over the world including the Philippines, English method, Australian, south African, Mexican-- then decorating with chocolate, pastillage, gum paste flowers, 50 pages of pulled sugar as well as piping 3d figurines, an airplane, lace, filigree, different painting techniques including cocoa and wafer paper painting, as well as piping the flowers of every state including piping an iris, etc etc etc. a bunch of juicy candy recipes --

so its a lot of great information only a fraction of it is buttercream in volume 2

Jeff_Arnett Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 12:33am
post #13 of 17

ACount me in!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 4:23am
post #14 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Wax on Jeff_Arnett, wax on.  We'll start a club for old Buttercream lovers and we'll get jackets.

and maybe tattoo's.

I'll join. I love working with buttercream. My last cake was all buttercream and I had so much fun making it.  Let me know when we're getting the tatoos and I'll bring the wine.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 4:29am
post #15 of 17

I think they lost a lot of money on their recent product line. First of all, a few things were improvements, like the rolling cutter. But everything was overpriced. And they invested heavily on the punch-cut line that was just aweful. There were so many parts and they were all so chunky and took up a lot of space. I was going to become a Wilton Method Instructor, until I realized I had to promote the punch-cut products. I am not a good liar and there was no way I could say they were great and sound convincing.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 7:00am
post #16 of 17

K8 and MBalaska~~The encyclopedias are priceless. 

Re:  the tattoo  -- obviously, make it out of buttercream!  You can have a new one each day.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 11:51pm
post #17 of 17

Re encyclopedias:  Buy Vol. 3 first, then 1, then 2.  Vol 3 is THE best :)

.......... Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett View Post

Wax on Jeff_Arnett, wax on.  We'll start a club for old Buttercream lovers and we'll get jackets........

I soooooooo agree w/Jeff :)  I'm one of those 'old school' decorators (retired, unfortunately). 

Let's PUSH Lambeth!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%