Help!! How Can I Bring 200 Mini Cupcakes Without Using Boxes

Decorating By jaseyer Updated 14 Aug 2014 , 10:18pm by -K8memphis

jaseyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaseyer Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 8

AI'm still kinda new in the business and I don't have a lot of customers or connections. So I'm planning on giving away mini cupcakes in a local marathon so I can promote my business. But how can I bring 200 mini cupcakes? I don't wanna use boxes since it's bulky and I don't have a car. Please give your opinion. Thank you

7 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 8

Use those plastic storage boxes (like the under bed storage kind).

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 8

AA cooler that comes with wheels and telescoping handle, like a suitcase? I'm at a loss for any other suggestions for you.

Make sure you get the green light from the city/county/marathon event planner before you go any further.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 8

My opinion: I hope you rethink this endeavor. It will not be easy to transport 200 mini-cupcakes without a car. A cooler on wheels is useful but you must have something to put the cupcakes in or on. Trays might work but they must be enclosed so the trays can be stacked. 

My other opinion: Many business owners have learned that donating to events will reap almost no business. If the marathon is a charity you support, then great. But if you are only doing this in hopes of promoting your new business, it may not reap the return you want. Yes, people will love getting free cupcakes and they will cheer you on. But they will not be so quick to place an order.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 8

AWhat Mimi said. What you will get are people asking for donations of free product.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 8

ATypically the free donation route does not drum up business. You need to figure out who you want to be your clients and target them.

I want to do wedding cakes. Mostly because that seems to be where the $$ is (at least in my area) and I love the look of wedding cakes. I enjoy decorating them.

I have several free listings on wedding websites and I pay to have a listing on The Knot. I know several people on CC have not had success on The Knot but I probably get 50% of my brides from there.

But to answer your original question... I would buy those plastic cups and lids from a party store that you make jello shots in. You could stack them in the cooler.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 8

I know two marathoners and cupcakes after or before a run doesn't sit well on their stomachs....just some food for thought. Wouldn't handing out business cards coupons be cheaper/easier? How about donating some money to get on their 'sponsored by' list if it's that important? Otherwise You should search the business forum for how to promote your business better. Just a hobby-baker's two-cents.

:-) 

P.S. My husband eats like a runner: low carb diet, so runners may not be your target audience...

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 8

Agood point, craftybanana, maybe some granola bars, or some healthy muffins, but still it is not a fruitful marketing plan/idea as mimi, leah & cai0311 state

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%