Cascading Roses

Decorating By rothells Updated 14 Aug 2014 , 2:10pm by rothells

rothells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rothells Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 2:56am
post #1 of 6

What's the best way to attach Royal Icing roses in a cascade onto a fondant cake? I usually make gumpaste flowers, but the customer wanted RI and I want to make sure they don't fall off the sides. Will RI hold them securely to the fondant/, or is there a better way?

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 3:39am
post #2 of 6

Ai would attach them as i piped them -- y'know half the fun of royal is to make them in advance but i wouldn't do that in this case -- in fact i would have lobbied for buttercream -- but be that as it may--

i use popsicle sticks to make a ledge for my cascades -- if you plan it right and stack a few up from the bottom ledge and hang one over from the top ledge you really only need to hang one or two at the most defying gravity out on the side on the sticks -- i filled in the gaps with buds, tendrils and leaves to keep it all flowing --

I'd cut the psticks in half and the conceal them with piped leaves -- works great -- place two sticks side by side --

best to you

rothells Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 5:55am
post #3 of 6

thank-you K8memphis for the reply. I am curious as to why you would have made them buttercream instead of RI. I can do either, the bride just wanted them made from icing, I was just thinking the RI would dry ahead of time and keep their shape and not droop when put on the side of the cake as well as when they are dry, and all the moisture had evaporated out of them, they are light weight, and would be easier to cascade and stay on the sides. also, my RI roses just turn out so much cleaner and more detailed than my buttercream does.. lol  I have already made about 85 of the RI, but if that was a mistake, I can redo them in buttercream, I just have never put anything other than gumpaste or real on a fondant cake. Thanks again for the help there is always something new to learn in cake decorating....lol

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 7:13am
post #4 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by rothells 

I was just thinking the RI would dry ahead of time and keep their shape and not droop when put on the side of the cake as well as when they are dry, and all the moisture had evaporated out of them, they are light weight, and would be easier to cascade and stay on the sides.

Yes, RI AND BC would dry ahead of time and be lightweight.

If you start your cascade at the bottom and work your way up, the lower roses would help to support the upper roses.  No need to use sticks or toothpicks, they'll stay in place with buttercream as long as they are air-dried roses.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 6

Ai would do buttercream because typically it's already made and they are easier & more fun to serve and eat -- i place them as i pipe them -- that's just how I've always done it --

if you ever are making buttercream roses and they are drooping on you -- stiffen your icing with some cornstarch--

i would use American buttercream

rothells Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 6

AThank you so much! I really appreciate the advice from you both!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%