Do-Over: Any Advice For Decorating This Cake?

Decorating By jessicake Updated 14 Aug 2014 , 6:09am by AZCouture

jessicake Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 12:46am
post #1 of 6

I'm re-posting due to my poor word choice! I'm wondering if anyone has decorated a cake like this before and would be able to offer any helpful hints. 

Thanks!

5 replies
Dayti Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 10:08am
post #2 of 6

It looks like a buttercream cake, and the petals would be done using buttercream with a petal tip like Wilton 103. Looks very time consuming!

jessicake Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 6

I *think* it's fondant.  I will be using Carma Ticino Tropic and I'm a bit concerned about all of the weight I will be adding.  This fondant is so nice and stretchy, I'm afraid it will sag under all of the petals.  

Anyone have thoughts on this?

UniqueCakeDesigner Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 4:14am
post #4 of 6

I agree with Dayti.....it looks like buttercream, it would be ridiculous to do that with fondant.  A "c" curved tip like a #81 would work.  

AZCouture Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 4:41am
post #5 of 6

AI'm on my tiny phone, but from here it looks like a Maggie Austin ruffle number, which would indeed be fondant, or a fifty fifty mix, or modeling chocolate, etc. No, it's not too much weight.

Like I said though, tiny screen, so if the other ladies on bigger screens say its BC, then it's probably bc. Just looks an awful lot like one of hers, with the stand and the lighting too

AZCouture Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 6:09am
post #6 of 6

It's by Nine Cakes, got on Google and looked. Looks like it's fondant covered, and makes me wonder why someone would bother piping BC over fondant. Looks like it's little petals of fondant to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%