Need Help With My Very First 200 Cake Pop Order

Decorating By mmhassa2 Updated 19 Aug 2014 , 6:09pm by mmhassa2

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 12:45am
post #1 of 8

So I have an order for 200 golf ball shaped cake pops and I have a few question.

-How many cakes do I bake? Looking to make the WASC recipe. I have a 14" round pan and baking flowers. So hoping baking it in the 14" pan will eliminate the need to bake a billion smaller 8" cakes.

-Approx how much candy melt would I be using?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. 

7 replies
Stacy49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacy49 Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 2:12am
post #2 of 8

You should be able to get 48 cake balls out of a 9x13 pan and a 18.25 oz cake mix. You would need around 32 oz or 2 pounds of candy coating to cover these. The only tips I can offer would be to pop the cake balls in the freezer for a few minutes before reshaping them and don't roll them to tight, because they may expand and crack you coating. If your chocolate becomes too thick, add a few pieces of paramount crystals or shortening. Good luck!

mmhassa2 Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 2:22am
post #3 of 8

I dont have that size pan...any idea how many I would get out of a 14" round pan?  Also How do I multiply to make the WASC cake for the 14" pan?  Thanks!!

Stacy49 Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 2:49am
post #4 of 8

You're going to mash up the cake so I don't think it really matters what size your cake pan is. The WASC cake has a recipe that contains 2 cake mixes in it. I read somewhere that it makes around 14 cups of batter. You will need 10-12 cups of batter to fill your 14" pan. You'll want your pan about 2/3 full and a nail in the center. I would just make up a batch and see what you have leftover. Perhaps it will all fix comfortably. If not, throw the extra in a 6" pan or make cupcakes and make them into cake balls too:) I hope I have not misinformed you on any of this!

mmhassa2 Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks Stacy! Do you happen to have the WASC recipe that uses 2 boxed cakes?  I guess I can always double the reg recipe.  

Another question, if I make them 2 days prior to the delivery date how do I store them?  Just in the fridge?  Would they crack or even worse once they come to room temp at the party, will they start falling off?  Always made them for the day of the party but with such a large order I wanted to be safe than sorry. ANY tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

UniqueCakeDesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UniqueCakeDesigner Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 4:09am
post #6 of 8

When I make cake pops I never refrigerate them, I live in a warm area and they do very well.  I think your concern about them rewarming and cracking could be valid.....but it would be the cold shrinking them rather than the warm cracking them.

They store very well for about 3-5 days.....at room temperature. I have never had a problem.

Make sure they are sealed and no holes or bubbles are on the chocolate.

I understand from others, they can be stored in a sealed container for 2 weeks.  

Stacy49 Posted 14 Aug 2014 , 4:41am
post #7 of 8

White Almond Wedding Cake
(also known as White Almond Sour Cream Cake)

2 (18 ounce) boxes white cake mix
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 2/3 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons real vanilla
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 cups sour cream
8 large egg whites, room temperature

1. Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together with a wire whisk.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
3. Pour into greased and floured cake pans, filling each pan about half full.
4. Lightly tap cake pans on counter to bring air bubbles to top.
5. Cut through batter with a toothpick or tip of a knife to break large bubbles.
6. Bake in preheated 325° F oven until cake tests done.
7. Baking time varies according to the size and depth of pans being used.
8. I used Wilton's Bake Even Strips on my cake pans to ensure a level-topped cake which required absolutely no trimming-- I highly recommend these.
9. This recipe makes: One 14" round and one 6" round or One 16" round or One 12" round and one 10" round or One 12 X 18" sheet cake or One 12" round and one 8" round and one 6" round Two 9" squares.
10. Half the recipe makes: Two 8" rounds or Two 6" rounds and 6 cupcakes.
11. These cake size yeilds are approximate, and can vary widely according to the depth of the pans being used.
12. As a general rule, fill your pans about half-full of batter or use the number of cups of batter specified by the cake pan manufacturer.
13. For chocolate cake: use chocolate mixes and substitute 6 whole eggs for the egg whites.

mmhassa2 Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 8

Just wanted to update in the hopes it helps someone else making large amounts of cake pops.  I doubled the WASC recipe and bake it in a 14" cake pan and was able to get approx 120 cake pops from the entire cake after trimming off the slightly browned bottom and edge of the cake.  Makes life so much easier when you know how many cakes you need before starting to work on large orders.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%